No announcement yet.

Runner beans - finished

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problem for me, TS, I haven't had any beans worth talking about this year!

Comment

Whatever the research says (and none of it is specific to a home gardener), I will continue to believe that there is a modicum of residual nitrogen left in the roots of the beans - enough to warrant leaving them in situ. Its also a darn side easier - and that alone is a good enough argument for me.

Comment

I leave them in the soil too, as they rot down they leave a tunnel, which aerates the soil

The foliage & vines are chopped up and left on the soil as a mulch, the pods are put in the compost heap. Nothing's wasted
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mine are pretty much finished too. Brought a load home from the allotment today to have with our cheeky midweek pork roast, but I barely coated the bottom of the saucepan with tender ones as they mostly seemed way too tough. Had to supplement from the freezer with French beans we've been storing. On the plus side, got some lovely fat seeds for growing next year which are now in paper pouches in the shed.
          Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I do what TS does, mainly because when the beans have finished (and it's getting towards that time now), the daleks are full. I just take the poles out, chop the foliage with shears and leave them on the ground to rot down.
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

i am growing the scarlet emperor runner beans.. they are around 8 to 12 inches long, but the problem i have is that the beans inside dont seem to be fattening up ? yet the pods look as if they are ready to harvest..

Comment

Originally posted by muslimgrower View Post
                i am growing the scarlet emperor runner beans.. they are around 8 to 12 inches long, but the problem i have is that the beans inside dont seem to be fattening up ? yet the pods look as if they are ready to harvest..
                I've been picking my scarlet emperor when they're around 5 or 6 inch long I only leave the beans to fatten up towards the end of the season to use for soups and as seed beans for next year.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

As Bren says ^^^^^, I'd have eaten yours by now! You don't really want to see a lumpy bean inside the pods when you pick them as that means they're getting tough.

Comment

I'm in Rochester in sunny Kent!

Thank you for your advice.
                    DottyR

Comment

thanks.

the beans are tiny though.. even though the pod is over 8 inches long!?

Comment

With runner beans, you eat the pods, rather than the bean inside! Like mangetout, in a way. The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it becomes to call the cooked version "beans".

Comment

Originally posted by arpoet View Post
                          My beans are romping away and as i sowed in succession over a couple of months i expect to keep picking until November.
                          november seems very late to keep harvesting beans ....
                          what variety are yours? and when did you sow them?
                          http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by muslimgrower View Post

the beans are tiny .. even though the pod is over 8 inches long!?
                            that all depends on the variety.

Even in the mature pod (and I'm guessing yours are very immature), some have tiny seeds, some have large seeds, some pods are short, others are long ...
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My runners looked to be finished roughly when this thread was started- score one for laziness though, they're suddenly putting out new growth and flower buds again!
                              My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
                                november seems very late to keep harvesting beans ....
                                what variety are yours? and when did you sow them?
                                my runner bean seeds are saved from year to year so have not bought any for years. I seem to think the last lot i paid for were scarlet emperor and emorma from Netto at 19p per packet and that was about 5 years ago, but some i have been growing for years from saved seeds for about 10 years.
                                Today i went out and tidied up some of the foliage and nick off the unwanted bits. it looks like i will picking again tomorrow and should get about 4 lbs.
                                There are still flowers on and tiny beens setting so i should keep going for a few weeks yet until we have a big frost that blacken the leaves.
                                I always leave some pods to fill out just for seeds and dont pick em until november.
                                Also i always grow in the same spot with the whole length of the row facing south and the high fence to the north side.
                                Lots of home made compost, rotted hos muck and shreeded paper dug into the trench in the spring.
                                Never fails.
                                Roger
                                Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X