ants in compost - to leave or not to leave

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ants in compost - to leave or not to leave

Hi all , its been a while but I have a question and thought of you guys... started a new compost bin (tardis) on the plot this summer, pulled out the bottom flap today to check progress, and found theres an ants nest... now I am not too bothered that its there and I know I need to make it wetter and all that.

But to my way of thinking it is doing its bit to the general breakdown of the waste into yummy nice compost. and I dont plan on using it until next spring/summer. so what are peoples thoughts on whether to leave it to its own devices over the winter and it possibly disappears of its own accord , or to do something about it now before it becomes an enormous problem.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

they won't harm anything,i always have them,they make it nice and fine eventually,when you tip it all out,any left will soon scarper,just be aware of any that might run up your arms,shivers,
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I would leave it be Wellies. By Tardis, I presume you mean Dalek. In spring just lift the whole thing off and if there are still any ants and eggs in it the birds will have a feast.

Comment

I just found some. The soil they're in is beautiful. Tempted to leave them alone but poked them with a stick and took a photo on my phone. Looked like they had a store of something white but wrong shape for eggs...
        Have left it uncovered and reckon they'll all have gone by tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
          I just found some. The soil they're in is beautiful. Tempted to leave them alone but poked them with a stick and took a photo on my phone. Looked like they had a store of something white but wrong shape for eggs...
          Have left it uncovered and reckon they'll all have gone by tomorrow.
          Ant eggs or larvae aren't round, they're sort of long ovals if you see what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
            Ant eggs or larvae aren't round, they're sort of long ovals if you see what I mean.

Indeed! I sent many happy hours as a child watching ants run and hide their eggs. This was more granular like sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
              new compost bin (tardis) ... pulled out the bottom flap
              They're hopeless, those flaps ~ I just lift the whole thing up and off, and resite it
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

thanks for the answers, yes I did mean Darlek and not Tardis, I am not a fan but knew it was something from Dr Who lol, ... ok, will leave it for the winter and , I agree the flap is not good for getting the compost out of, only for checking progress.. must remember to wear a vest top when I do tip it (visions of ants inside my clothes ugh, thanks for that image Lottie Dollie. )
                I have a little robin who has started coming to keep a check on my progress and grab some goodies while I am taking 10min breaks , so I am sure he will enjoy a good feed when the time comes.

thanks all.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X