Samurailord's Video Updates

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hamesy View Post
    Nice video Andy. It looks like you may need more drainage ditches if we have a wet winter
    Thanks Hamesey

Yes, there is definately a need for more drainage, I am talking with the committee about extending and deepening the ditch I have already dug through the orchard area away from my plot.

One of the members has a friend who is going to give us some advice on the best way to get it done (hopefully he will arrive with JCB in tow)

At the moment I am desperate to get my fruit bushes in the ground, but the soil where I want to plant them is just far too wet to even think about it yet unless I want rotten and dead bushes.

I might get a couple of thin (2') raised beds in this weekend and use them for planting out my strawberries and some herbs, just to try and get some use out of the top of the plot.

Andy
    Last edited by Samurailord; 06-11-2012, 03:35 PM.
    http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Early December Allotment Video Update

Hi all

For those of you who are interested I have posted a video update from this morning on my allotment.

Lots of ice and very, very cold.

You can see it here -

Or on my blog (link in my sig)

I would appreciate your comments, good or bad.

Thanks

Andy
      http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

A very clear vid Andy, well done mate.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks BigM

I have been trying various settings on my camera and this one seems to be the best.

Andy

Comment

Enjoyed the vid.....we have drainage problems at our plot........I will be interested in how your works progress and how effective they are.

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Originally posted by Newton View Post
              Enjoyed the vid.....we have drainage problems at our plot........I will be interested in how your works progress and how effective they are.
              Thanks Newton

The videos are a new development for me, i am learning something new each time I make one,

Who knows, I may put myself in front of the camera for a bit next time too, but I don't want to scare everyone away!

I will keep the Vine up to date with progress on the drainage issue, but after the cold snap recenty it may take a while for any water to be liquid enough to run off along a trench!

Andy

Comment

Interesting, always interesting to see what other folk are doing on their plots. Would be nice to see more of these from other people. Might try and do one myself if I can figure out how to do it my phone (just got an iPhone and it's a bit complicated for a dinosaur like me!)
                Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

I may do one next year if Santa brings me a camcorder..........phone battery is pants.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Nice video Andy. I caught this on your blog on Sunday, certainly got me thinking about doing a few videos myself
                    An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

January on the Allotment - Video Update

I finally managed to get down to the plot late this afternoon - either the weather has been against me recently or I haven't had transport.

It has stood up to the recent bad weather pretty well, and the drainage channel that I started has been deepened by a mechanical digger, so I am hoping that will now allow the surplus water to drain off.

Please post any comments either on here, my blog or on youtube.

Thanks

Andy
                      Last edited by Samurailord; 28-01-2013, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Nice looking cabbages!

Bugger! I didn't know we'd missed a tree. It was snowing a blizzard when we were replanting them. Ah well will stick it in somewhere and if it dies, it dies.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                          Bugger! I didn't know we'd missed a tree. It was snowing a blizzard when we were replanting them. Ah well will stick it in somewhere and if it dies, it dies.
                          It still looked pretty healthy at weekend, despite having been under six inches of snow recently.

Trees are pretty hardy, so we should be OK.

Andy

Comment

Your Brussel tops rotting could be extreme cold damage but more likely where the top has come off the netting birds have been pecking around in there and its killed off some leaf parts and they rotted away spreading the rot as they went ;/. I know a couple of my plot neighbours unprotected ones were the same and you could see the bird droppings under the plants.

P.S

Cabbages look good, mine looked the same until I got impatient and have eaten 3/4 of them since December
                            Last edited by Jamesy_uk; 30-01-2013, 09:37 AM.
                            My new Blog.

http://jamesandthegiantbeetroot.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Jamesey

The Brussel tops had started to rot long before the netting got blown all over, so I think it will be the cold that is mainly to blame. I have some brassicas at home with the same problem - those were Romescue Caulis.

The cabbages aren't quite fully grown yet, but we have already had one and I am planning on harvesting a couple more this weekend.

They have a lovely sweet flavour that I wasn't expecting.

Andy

Comment

A quick update on the drainage on my plot - I have now deepened the channel where it was needed to allow the water to flow off my plot, hopefully this will now help to drain the surface water that has been causing me so much trouble.

I made a quick video of the result - linked below or on my blog.

Andy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X