Do you cook at the lottie?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you cook at the lottie?

You can't get any fresher than produce you pick from your plot, but what about eating it on site?

Whether you opt for barbecues, stir-frys, salads, or steaming pizzas from your clay oven, we want to know if (and what) you cook on the plot?!

I have a one ring camping burner in the shed and it's a given that when my grandchildren come down (which is quite often) they have a cup of tea and bacon or fish finger sandwich, it's quite funny seeing the youngest (5) sitting on a chair, with his gardening gloves on eating and drinking and telling me he likes gardening

Only had the plot since Feb so now just starting to pick crops to cook straight off the plot - not sure how that'll compare to a bacon sarnie
    "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

No, eat loads of stuff raw but can do that on the run so to speak but my time up there is far too limited to be able to waste time cooking. Do boil a kettle for a brew but that's not exactly cooking

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I eat raw stuff at the plot regularly but not cook (yet).

Although I can see the allotments from my kitchen window ... does that almost count?

Comment

We've had barbecues, using our dustbin incinerator with coals resting on mesh on the the upturned lid (although we've only had 2 this year!). We don't have a shed on site and no clean running water so that limits the possibilities slightly.

Comment

I always cook and eat some of the first new potatoes on the plot - I have a single ring gas stove in the shed for making brews, and an old saucepan especially for doing this. I haven't cooked much else, but the pleasure of eating those first spuds is immense, so perhaps I ought to think of doing more. A thick soup could probably be produced from leeks, swedes etc on sunny days in the winter months when doing maintenance jobs...

Comment

I only have a 1/4 plot, and no storage, so no cooking for me. Plus I too can just about see my plot from my house, so no real excuse.
              Proud member of the Nutters Club.
              Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

My partner and I often create dishes at our plot using fresh crops, not just for ourselves, but a few of our allotment pals, too. It's surprising what you can cook on a two-ring camping stove. We've had everything from stir-fries and soups to stewed fruit, carrot fritters and vegetable risottos! It's a great way to enjoy our homegrown fruit and veg at its best - especially sweetcorn and other veg that loses it's flavour really quickly!

Comment

I eat on the run from the garden. But I'm am really busting to make one of those Cob Ovens and that is part of the plan for the back garden here. I also want to make sure that we have rosemary growing near the bbq (for lamb kebab sticks!) and so on. We want to incorporate as much stuff as possible into the garden as we can. It's going to take a while tho!
                  Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

we bbq sausages and burgers.a hole dug in the ground with a bbq rack on a stone circle . but we have a big enough shed for a camprvan cooker&sink as well. my friend has chickens on his allotment. his shed is kitted out with a built in couch/ bed and a stove , when he has a row with his missus he stays there and has fried eggs in morn.

Comment

We don't have a garden so have managed to obtain a double allotment plot, our allotment is not only our veggie patch and fruit patch for growing stuff to eat - but also we treat it like our back garden, sometimes we just pop up to have a cuppa and a wander around - like you do in your own back garden. Sometimes we have bacon butties for breakfast up there and in the winter, I love to pop up when the wind is blowing a gale and the rain lashing down, we snuggle up in the shed with a hot cuppa and hot bacon butties freshly cooked on the 1 ring burner whilst watching the birds and mammals scurrying around - heaven!

Comment

Yes,and its great,2 ring and a tiny grill,crumpets and home made jam,hot pot the other day,pancakes,take the steamer with prepared veg,pan fry chicken in ginger/soy sauce,sometime when just sandwiches go pick a cue and toms fresh,we often have a barbie with others,better than any so called resturant,
                        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

As well as the bacon buttie or sarnie, you could turn it into a BLT (Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato.)

And you've just reminded me I should be grabbing a couple of leeks and peeling the spuds for leek and potato soup tonight!
                          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X