Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone stole my shed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Thanks so much to you all for your kind words. In reply, I live just off Jct 6 M25 and the plot isn't to far from there too. I have contacted the Police and the council and the woman who also had her shed stolen at the same time is on a one women crusade. She insisted that SOCO came out and dusted for finger prints, but they apear to have worn gloves. I did find a set of wire cutters where the shed was that didn't belong to me and they have taken them to look for fingerprints. The problem being I only found out on Tuesday and the weather has been so bad they reckon that there won't be any evidence left! The police have basically said that the odds on finding the shed or who took it is remote and they can't justify the resources to look. Which I can understand even if it isn't fair and I technically pay their wages. The woman at the council is just plain unhelpful and knows nothing about allotments. On top of that I drove her mad last year calling at least once a month to try and secure the plot next to me. So I'm not exactly her favourite person right now. The other plot holders were surprised that when they reported it and tried to get hold of me that she know my name address and plot number off by heart!! (It was the only way of guaranteeing getting the new plot)

The allotment site I'm on is great, its surrounded on 3 sides by houses and most of the people have got plots. So there is a real sense of community there, but knowone saw anything and there isn't and CCTV camara's. I think I may be a member of the NSALG, so thanks for mentioning that as I'm going to get in contact with them.

Overall we've done all we can, I'm just waiting until I have enough money to buy another one. Although as the last one was a really good quality new one, I may just get a secondhand one to reduce the chances of it walking again.

But the icing on the cake was the fact that the Black outdoor grape I bought to grow over it and the 4 varitety pear I was planning on training as an Espalier at the front, arrived yesterday!! So I'm now trying to find new homes for them in my garden, as they are currently standing bare root in a plastic bag wrapped in straw!!

But hey ho, I suppose that is all part of life. With the run of bad luck I've had over the last couple of years I must be in for a good lottery win or something.

Thanks again everyone,
    Em
    X

Comment

It beggars belief that the value of a stolen shed could be worth the trouble and effort of defeating the site access restrictions and then risk being caught doing both that and stealing the shed off the plot. Like this incident and burglary etc. generally; don't let them beat you. Yes get a new shed and return to normal, they don't deserve to get both the shed and cause you to change your life. Commiserations.
      "Always willing to learn"

Comment

I can't beleive it I went to visit my shedless plot on friday to discover a bright yello sign on the NEW gate declaring that there was CCTV in operation. I thought the sign was only a deterant as I couldn't see any camaras, but low and behold a car arrived an hour later with two community support officers who have put up two shiny new camaras with motion detectors!!!. They are also looking to replace the fencing at the back on the plot that borders a footpath!!!! and follow up the lead I have!!!!!

I am in shock, but at least they have taken us seriously at last!!
        x

Comment

Well I suppose you shouldn't have the same again Emma. Good to know that they took it seriously. We had a break in last year & they stole the sites strimmer, the treasurer was quite pleased cos we got a new one and the old one was knackered & dangerous !
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Emma that is really good news. Perseverance does pay off.
            [

Comment

Hi I'm fairly new to owning an allotment, but on a plot near mine an entire greenhouse was taken!! The owner was there in the morning, went home at lunch time, but when she returned in the afternoon the greenhouse was gone. I just can't believe that anyone has got the b***s to dismantle an entire shed or greenhouse in broad daylight. what is the world coming to???????

Comment

Sad, Sad ,Sad, My wife wants to return to UK as we retired to France, I am reluctant as we watch UK TV and so much crime in UK, here we can leave our doors unlocked, keys in our car, no muggins, young children and youths who are courteous to elders and each other, the only problem they speak a different 'lingo' and being in our 70's it take a bit of doing to learn. I dread returning but have to do as wife wants, just hope I can pick a good spot to live that is crime free and friendly.
                Also we only pay £400 per year council tax here, no road fund licence for cars, no TV licence, fuel is cheaper, food prices about the same but its does include vat, wait till GB intro vat on food in UK.
                However, I sympathise with your plight, UK should have the Gendarmes there, they sort it out.

Comment

Hello VicB, What a pretty picture you paint of life in France. Have spent a lot of time there myself. Yes, what you say is true, but only of rural regions with all the drawbacks that go with that. In equally remote areas of Britain the same things would be true. In big cities all the same problems arise. Look at the news. Much of the lifestyle that you (I too) love in France only exists through massive subsidies that UK taxpayers (and otheres) pay to subsidise that lifestyle.Without these subsidies France would be a maedieval backwater in the middle of Europe. That's why we pay them. Politically, socially and economically without them the place would be up in flames (literally) Might get this deleted for political comment . Love France but can see what it's all about. Viva la France. Cocorico..

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

France

I totally agree with you that big cities have social problems and pro, but surely I cannot agree with you that France is in the middle of Europe, perhaps you refer to the old EU. Vive Europe!!!!!!!!! Don Vincenzo

Comment

Lack of crime in France started a off thread switch to VAT. Have split the thread to make a new one for the VAT posts .
                      The thread can go back to Crime on allotments.

VAT and other food thoughts can now be discussed at http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ead.php?t=1215
                      Last edited by Jaxom; 15-05-2006, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X