Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many comfrey plants does one allotment need?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cuttings every time. You don't get seeds for the bocking kind because it's sterile and you really don't want the other kind unless you can be vigilant about cutting off the flowers. I've found cuttings take better if they're hacked off the crown rather than root pieces further down. Not had much luck with that. As for slugs, I've seen them having a nibble before, I also once read about someone who put them round her plants and the slugs went for the wilted leaves rather than the plants. She then gathered them up and disposed of them. Comfrey slug trap - maybe worth a try if you're at a loss.

Comment

Which ones are best to get?? I would like to get some not sure where to plant them?

Comment

Bocking 14 is the type you want. You might be able to get it on ebay. You need to plant it somewhere where it can stay permanantley because once it's established it's hard to get rid of.

Comment

Thanks. Will have a look around on the plot not sure if it would be a good idea to.get some bow as I'm still tackle the buldweed!!,

Comment

Well it doesn't spread (if you get the sterile bocking 14 kind) but the roots go way down and it will grow back from a snapped off piece of root. So, not invasive, just permanent

Comment

I'm growing my comfrey in buckets with the bottoms cut out in a attempt to control where it grows. So far so good, I started with a plant given me last year by a lottie neighbour. I now have four good size plants and one small one.
              Chris

My Allotment Journal @
              Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
              -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

The roots of it take really very easily, only a tiny bit will grow on and on. I started with about 5 bits of root and now have a nice big patch which is very useful. Not enough for all my needs but I suplement with wild stuff from near the canal - tonnes of it grows here. Never had a problem with slugs eating it - they're too busy eating my sunflowers and tagetes I think. They again, my patch is near the wildlife pond which is full of frogs.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

How far apart should I plant my Comfrey? I bought 5 root cuttings and popped them into pots to get them started and they are now coming through very nicely. I'm planning to dig a permanent bed especially for them - that's if the rain stops that is

Should they be in a sheltered spot or will they be fine in more open ground?

Comment

Originally posted by Peppermint View Post
                    How far apart should I plant my Comfrey?
                    About 18"- 24"
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thank you Two Sheds - they'll be getting their own special bed shortly :-)

Comment

Can I plant them in winter? I've found a place that sells small plants and I thought if I got a few I could then take cuttings off them, but will have something to start with. But not sure that they will be ok in winter? Or should I wait till spring.........just that I'll be so dashed busy then.
                        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by Currysniffa View Post
                          I'm growing my comfrey in buckets with the bottoms cut out in a attempt to control where it grows. So far so good, I started with a plant given me last year by a lottie neighbour. I now have four good size plants and one small one.
                          That won't work I'm afraid!
                          I had some in a pot waiting to be planted, and in the meantime a few roots escaped. Moved the pot to plant them in their cleared bed.....and they started growing from the escaped roots where the pot had been.

Comment

Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
                            not sure that they will be ok in winter?
                            They're herbaceous, the foliage dies back in the winter, comes again in the spring

Is that what you mean ?

Comment

The one I have hasn't died back this winter. It's at the side of a small pond so might have a little thermal area happening next to it. But I was planning to buy some small plants on ebay to get a bit of a comfrey/tree lucerne thing going before spring when I'm really going to need them to take off. Just wondered if I could plant them out now in readiness, or if I need to wait until spring to put them in?
                              I'm getting a bit over having nothing growing except weeds.
                              A

And why is it that weeds can still grow in winter but nothing useful seems to?
                              Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
                                The one I have hasn't died back this winter.
                                That's good then. I can't advise further, because I don't have any experience of the Oz climate

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X