No announcement yet.

Our Allotment - Guidance Sought Please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you go to one of the cheapie Pound type shops many of them still have seed potatoes for sale - they can still be planted. I planted some late - about 3 weeks ago and they have done really well in all this rain! I am moulding up spuds on a new half plot with grass clippings from my lawn at home - I have tried this before with spuds in flower bed at home - the soil was really poor, thin, hard clay basically. After two years of this I have a good tilth there. Your plot is a long-term exercise so don't get dis-heartened. Whatever you do now will benefit you in the longer run. My folks were farmers before they retired - the mantra is "Plan as if you are going to live forever - but that you might die tomorrow!" It sounds contradictory, but if you think about it, it's good advice. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by susieq100 View Post
      If you go to one of the cheapie Pound type shops
      Don't the expensive Pound shops have them?

Last edited by Two_Sheds; 16-06-2012, 08:53 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yes the Tree Lucerne is Tagasaste plant. I've found the beggars in the next state! Can buy them in lots of 10 seedlings. Planning to have masses of them and comfrey as you can compost them, use them as mulch, feed the horses with it. Make liquid manures with it. And it will make a good nursery/windbreak section for less hardy plants. Only heard about them last year on a horse site, but seems they are a pretty good plant to have if you want nitrogen rich mulch and compost. Not sure how they'd go over there. Will need to give them a little help in the mid winter freeze and the mid summer bake-off but shoud be doable.
        Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          Don't the expensive Pound shops have them?

£shop/land/ had a sale on when I went and I got spuds for 50p AND cos I bought a couple of gardening things I got one item free. Best visit ever!

Although the mixed beetroot seed packet did actually contain all the seeds mixed up...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X