what have i got myself into lol

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what have i got myself into lol

i have been waiting over three years for a allotment so grabbed the first one offered.
    It did'nt look so bad 5 weeks ago when i viewed it (late evening).
    looks like i have my work cut out lol.
    Attached Files

OK, start collecting thick cardboard. You can use this to cover the bits you're not planting up at the moment. It's obviously fertile soil (the grass and weeds are growing well)

Comment

yeah, once you knock that building down it should be fine....

KIDDING!!!!

good luck <--not kidding

Comment

Bit late now, but. . . I've always been under the impression that you can refuse an allotment if you think it is going to be too much for you or it is not in acceptable state and not lose your place on the list.

Possibly you could approach the 'demigod' in charge for a re-think?

Cheers, Tony.
        Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

It's lush.

As RL said start covering. When you've dug and fed (compost and the like) cover again until ready to plant. One piece at a time.

Comment

If you appear too fussy they'll think you aren't committed and will give it to somebody else. I think if you have to start from scratch you get a real feel for the land/soil and know what you need to do with it.

Just MHO.

On our site new tenants are invited in November. How late is that?
            Last edited by donnakebab; 19-05-2012, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by donnakebab View Post

On our site new tenants are invited in November. How late is that?

Sounds perfect, Donna, it gives new tenants all winter to prepare the plot in readiness for sowing in Spring.

Sorry, forgot to say, congratulations on getting a plot Colco, I'm sure it will be fine if you follow the cardboard advice on here and just tackle a section at a time.
              Last edited by Pa Snips; 19-05-2012, 04:18 PM.
              Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Snips View Post
                Sounds perfect, Donna, it gives new tenants all winter to prepare the plot in readiness for sowing in Spring.

Sorry, forgot to say, congratulations on getting a plot Colco, I'm sure it will be fine if you follow the cardboard advice on here and just tackle a section at a time.
                Exactly. Gives you time to plan what you want to grow where and to suppress weeds. Though I have to say did take me a couple of years to get rid of weeds but still grew crops in between.

At this time of year I'd cover and dig a patch a bit at a time and just plant something to see what happens. By attending to what you've planted you will at least get a feel for weather and soil conditions. It's a massive learning curve with lots of fun on the way.

Like the new avatar PS
                Last edited by donnakebab; 19-05-2012, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Colco
                  Those building are pigeon cotes so I wonder if any crops were ever sown on that plot.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

It all boils down to allotments laying fallow for far too long. Cheers, Tony.
                    Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                      Hello and welcome to the vine Colco
                      Those building are pigeon cotes so I wonder if any crops were ever sown on that plot.
                      I have been chatting to a couple of the neighbours and apparently the elderly chap who had it last mainly kept pidgeons ,but liked his cabbage,leeks and onions, (plus beetroot to feed the pidgeons).
                      He also grew some prize winning roses (just to be seen in front of the large building under the weeds)
                      He unfortunately died last june and had no family to take over (as is usual around here). So the plot has been left to go to seed. On the plus side there are some leeks and cabbage starting to flower so will hopefully get some free seeds.
                      I will be knocking at least three sheds down Taff there are five in total two have collapsed roofs and the other no side left on it . The big cote is sound though so will probably clean it out and put some big windows in to make a potting shed/ store and somewhere to start seedlings off.
                      great idea RL will start collecting cardboard and maybe invest in a flame thrower lol

Comment

Hello and welcome Colco!

I know you've got your work cut out in your new lottie, but I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end. Good luck with it all
                        If it comes from a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, don't!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kleftiwallah View Post
                          It all boils down to allotments laying fallow for far too long.
                          It takes less than a year to get in that state

imo, it's really not so bad.

Get covering, get mulching: gather all the cardboard and newspapers you can get your paws on
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X