No announcement yet.

I want an allotment!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get in touch every month, I did. I apologised for being a pest, but was told that they prefer it, as they know who is keen and who isn't! I attended the AGM too, kept my details up to date (including them in each email too), and said I'd take on any plot, regardless of state/condition

Comment

Is it really worth keep pestering them?

I was just told that there was an approx 2 year wait... I have no idea how far down the list I am or even how much the plot will cost... I just filled in a form and left it with a receptionist.. I will badger them constantly if necessary... I do know personally the secretary of our local site but it seems that she carries no weight regarding what's going on!

But yes, I agree, I am also desperate to get a plot as ASAP is not fast enough for me!
      My new website for allotment beginners www.theallotmentshed.co.uk

My Facebook page Please take the the time to "LIKE" https://www.facebook.com/theallotmentshed

Follow on Twitter The Allotment Shed @TASallotment

Comment

I'm keen to get a plot and I am on a waiting list, though I only really want a half-plot because I just wouldn't have the time to tend to a full plot.

Must get in contact and find out how many years I'm likely to be waiting.
        Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

Okay, got an email reply and I'm number 47 on the list.

Based on the average rate at which their plots are vacated and re-let, I should get one in roughly 12 to 15 years....yipee!
          Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

Originally posted by Cue the Toms View Post
            Is it really worth keep pestering them?
            Yes! they don't know who is keen and who isn't. if you keep letting them know that you're around, willing and able to take on any plot they're likely to look on you with favour (at least it worked for me!)so long as you're polite and friendly they should have no reason to complain

Comment

i am composing an email now xx
              God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done. ~Author Unknown

http://twitter.com/#!/louisebriggs2
              http://facebook.com/louise.briggs2
              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...s/briggsy2011/

Comment

There's quite a bit you can do to improve your chances of getting your plot. Could share if you can find a plot holder who's struggling, but there are risks. Certainly push the council if it looks like they're not being particulalry pushy with plotholders who aren't using their plots properly. Click the link below for more advice, including a sample letter to petition your council to provide more allotments.

Allotment Heaven: How to get an allotment
                Allotment Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMac View Post
                  Click the link below for more advice, including a sample letter to petition your council to provide more allotments.
                  That bit was useful.

I thought
                  "Once you’ve come to the top of the waiting list and are offered a plot should you accept whatever you’re given? Best not to… the reason you’ve got an offer might be you’re being saddled with the plot everyone else has rejected. You shouldn’t have to accept the first offer, but make sure you don’t come across as too fussy and keep rejecting offers… they may dry up!"

Was possibly bad advice - if you reject a plot you might well go back to the bottom of the list and wait another 2 years for an offer.
                  At least once you're on a site you stand a chance of plot swopping should another come available.

Comment

Dear all

If you want a lottie you need to pester the council. You need to band together with others in the area who want a lottie and write letters under section 23 of the 1908 allotments act this will bring a legal obligation on the council to provide allotments in your area the minimum number in each area must be six local residents who are on the electoral register and paying council tax.

Farmer giles did you see the report in the local paper "council closes waiting list due to rocketing demand" it is not enought just to put your name on a waiting list.

If you want a lottie you gonna have to fight for one.

by the way farmer giles you are not to far away from me and you could put your name on our list and protest the councils attempt to dispose of our allotments

Comment

For 4 and a half years I have been sharing one sixth of a 10 rod plot with 5 others. Our organisation is for older people. I have now been given a 5 rod plot together with my OH. Several people turned it down because it needs quite a bit of work doing to it but this is half the fun (???). On the smaller area we have been limited as to what we can grow but it has been a good introduction. There seems to be a lot of sub-letting on the site e.g one of our new neighbours is 'letting' a young couple use part of his plot. I now think our list is better managed. Up until 2 years ago there was something a bit dodgy about the list - with some people having up to 4 10 rod plots and your place on the waiting list changing - one year we were told we were No. 45 and the following year 68! The list is now published on a website and transparent. But I still think getting to know who's who helps.
                      A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

PS - one of the reasons we accepted our 5 rod plot was location, access, the fact that it's near a water supply and dare I say it near the loo (imp for my OH). There would have been quite definitely some plots we would not have liked. Being on the site for 4 and a half years means I had a pretty good idea of what I didn't want although I have griped about the amount of work we are having to do to clear the site. Getting to know the site is also important for this reason. And yes, I did read an allotment guide which said don't take on a plot covered in weeds, rubbish, metal and plastic bags. This was a few days after we had accepted the site. Plastic bags I thought? Then we found 67 buried as we were digging over the plot....
                        A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

Alldigger... just to respond to your concerns, our Town Council does give someone on the waiting list three choices as vacant plots come up... if none of these are acceptable they do go to the bottom of the list. It would be a good idea to establish if you have a number of choices first. As I mention, you need to be careful not to come across as too fussy.

Only problem with your suggestion to take what you're offered so you can plot swap if you're not satisfied is that by the time another plot becomes available you may well have invested time and effort in tilling your plot, all of which will be lost to you and for the benefit of whoever takes over your plot!

Regards, John
                          Allotment Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMac View Post
                            Only problem with your suggestion to take what you're offered so you can plot swap if you're not satisfied is that by the time another plot becomes available you may well have invested time and effort in tilling your plot, all of which will be lost to you and for the benefit of whoever takes over your plot!

Regards, John
                            As long as people are aware of whether they get the chance of a refusal or two first...

The idea that you'd be swapping a plot would be only if you'd be getting a better one. Perhaps one with more established permanent beds on, or more sun.
                            After all if you work on a plot and get it looking right then why would you swap it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X