Leaky tap on water butt...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky tap on water butt...

I bought a Sankey water butt last year from Focus, to put in at home. The tap had a bit of a drip to start with, but usually stopped after 5 minutes or so. Now the thing is dripping for up to 2 days after being turned on, and of course the receipt is nowhere to be found... It's not the seal between butt and tap which is the problem but the actual tap dripping. Anyone had this problem? Is it repairable, or should I try writing to Sankey for a new tap? Would like to sort it before I really need the water...!

I had exactly the same problem with a new waterbutt - it turned out to be a missing seal on the tap fitting (i think it was on the inside of the butt) My other half tried fixing it with plumbers tape round the tap thread (which we thought was the prob) which was better, but still dripped. In the end we bought a new tap which was cheap and solved the problem.
    There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
    Happy Gardening!

Comment

I have the same problem at the mo, for now untill I can get a new tap I have stuck a bit of hose pipe on to it and then clamped the hose.

Not pretty but it works.
      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I was in Wilkinsons today and noticed that they sell replacement water butt taps. Not expensive as they were own brand.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Thanks Shirl, have got a butt I'm not using at the moment as the tap leaks, it seems to keep coming unscrewed whatever I do.

On a slightly different subject, the designer Wayne Hemmingway was on the TV yesterday morning marketing his latest design, a water butt in the shape of, well, a butt............ Apparently they will soon be seen in B&Q.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

That's a good idea Seasprout, will try that as a temporary measure - got loads of random hose-fittings! Will have to look in the DIY shops for a replacement tap - we haven't got a Wilkinsons here...

Thanks for advice everyone
            Last edited by SarzWix; 15-04-2007, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Update to the water-butt problem;
              My really clever OH has just decided to set up the air-rifle targets next to said butt... So of course, there's now a flipping hole in it...!! I could say a lot of things about men, common-sense & brain cells, but I'll just go and count to 2000...

Comment

Had same problem with dripping tap, got replacement from one of these pound shops, works great now,
                Mick aka murfe 18

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                  Update to the water-butt problem;
                  My really clever OH has just decided to set up the air-rifle targets next to said butt... So of course, there's now a flipping hole in it...!! I could say a lot of things about men, common-sense & brain cells, but I'll just go and count to 2000...
                  Quick get your OH to buy you a new water butt. Threaten him that you will get another OH if he dont. (Might Work)
                  Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Hahahahaha, that'd probly make him shoot at it some more....

Comment

Buy Quality

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                      I was in Wilkinsons today and noticed that they sell replacement water butt taps. Not expensive as they were own brand.
                      I tried a Wilkinson tap but it was a problem from the start. The tap handle had to be sawn shorter to be able to use it - the handle had a long and a short side to help you see the off position but this was a 'fail' on the barrel shaped butt. The long piece was too long.

It is a very simple spindle spigot with a hole in it that you rotate to get an on/off effect and is not watertight. I improvised with some tape to tighten the seal. This made it hard to turn on and off. Needless to say my kludge failed after a few days and it is dripping again.

I bought a cheap and effective plastic tap from the gardening section of Poundland. This has a standard garden hose bore so is not suitable for the main water butt outlet. However I made an additional hole halfway up the butt and installed it to let me manually fill a cheap plastic dustbin.

Note that the Poundland tap does not come with a nut to help attach it - so do look out for this if you see something similar. I luckily found a couple of old plastic nuts of the right bore lying around at home.

Comment

I wonder if they have changed in the last 9 years since shirlthegirl posted?

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                          I wonder if they have changed in the last 9 years since shirlthegirl posted?
                          I know MY butt has - and not for the better

Comment

Originally posted by bufflettuce View Post
                            Note that the Poundland tap does not come with a nut to help attach it -
                            That's because they are sold for water butts with pre threaded holes..................p.s Welcome to the vine.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X