Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas for child friendly activities on allotment site?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compertions for kids fun activitys

find an area that the kids can have a go at gardening their selfs start a kids gardening club buy them a few packets of seeds and have a show or compertion ideas tallest sunflower, pumpkin growing - largest pumpkin , biggest cabbage etc.. scarcrow making ,

also i have a bit of fun with some of the other plot holder kids i know first to find a frog or toad first to find a ladybird i usually buy them a soft drink etc they spend hours looking for frogs on the allotment..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zazen999; 30-01-2012, 08:25 PM. Reason: removal of link
    do a little every day...
    keep it organic and taste and see the difference..

http://allotmentveggrower.blogspot.com/

Comment

CRB checks?
      Insurance for when they injure themselves and the parents sue the "childcarer" ?
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If you have the time and inclination, I do think some of the ideas in your OP sound good, it's just whether your 'facilities' would be abused or used by the parents.

Maybe start a Saturday club,perhaps every other week, for an hour, where the parent takes the child and stays with them.
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

There used to be a game we played with our kids on the beach which involved digging holes in the sand and burying the kids up to their necks. Boy did that give us some peace. Would it work on allotments?

p.s. maybe I should have put this in the jokes thread

Comment

....and to make it a little more interesting, you could surround the hole with a bramble cuttings cage .

Comment

Originally posted by allotment grower View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]27248[/ATTACH]

have a show or compertion ideas tallest sunflower, pumpkin growing - largest pumpkin , biggest cabbage etc..Allotment Grower
              I will have to suggest this for our allotment association Horticultural Show later in the year. Of course, in our Association, the "Junior" section will be for under 50's ...

Comment

Just came across this, along with my million other pie in the sky ideas, I might try and give it a go.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/outd...er-proj-124426
                Last edited by di; 11-03-2012, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Build a large iron cage, lock them in when you arrive and collect them when you're going home. It's harsh, but fair
                  http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

My two have been good as gold today, the people on the plot directly opposite have a little girl in DD's class and then the couple next to them have a lad in DS's.

I like the blackboard idea as it wouldn't really take up any extra space. (now they are getting older, I'm decreasing how much 'play' space they have and digging them beds, the last two years the beds have been increased about an inch...they've not noticed yet
                    Last edited by di; 11-03-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Gardening! Had my daughter popping seed potatoes in - she followed me down the scaffold board and kept poking me up the bottom. We sowed parsnip today and she laughed when I fell into the potato bed. Then we went into the spare ground but of the graveyard and played catch! All good stuff!!
                      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I sometimes need to be there for the better part of the day. Some days mine will do their own little jobs or happily help me, other days, an hour or so in, they've had enough....little distractions for them mean they distract me less, meaning job gets done quicker

Comment

I'm taking my eldest later today. Any ideas on how to distract him? Keep him out of trouble?
                          He's 54 BTW
                          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

J (3 years) and I planted the first plants in his very own raised bed (2 x 2ft) yesterday. 9 sprouting onion sets. He is obsessed with growing onions and wants to plant his entire bed with them. So we looked at my seed packets last night and they will be joined by nasturtiums, little gem lettuce, sweet peas, a gardeners delight tomato and some parmex carrots. should make for an interesting bed...

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                              I'm taking my eldest later today. Any ideas on how to distract him? Keep him out of trouble?
                              He's 54 BTW
                              Tell him that you totally understand, at his age he might not manage much...see your plot dug over in a day.

Comment

Originally posted by salome2001 View Post
                                J (3 years) and I planted the first plants in his very own raised bed (2 x 2ft) yesterday. 9 sprouting onion sets. He is obsessed with growing onions and wants to plant his entire bed with them. So we looked at my seed packets last night and they will be joined by nasturtiums, little gem lettuce, sweet peas, a gardeners delight tomato and some parmex carrots. should make for an interesting bed...
                                My little girl absolutely loves chioggia beetroot, when you cut it it has stripes. I steam slices and she can't get enough of them, am sure you could find space for them in that little bed somewhere.
                                I'm hoping Premier seeds still sell them as we ran out last year. (they're on Ebay)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X