Manure from a Stud Farm

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BroadRipple View Post
    Aberdeenplotter, shouldn't that be 'pheremonal'?
    am very impressed VVG that your heap gets so hot (sounds weird, you know what I mean though). Mine is never much more than warmish (sounds weird and actually a bit pathetic).
    I know - I didn't think heaps got that hot but the big twig I went to pull out to break up better than I had originally done was hot and I am no wussy. Was flabbergasted myself. Got to be the chicken poo?!
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
      . I don't think breeding horses are routinely fed hormones though.
      Nope but they are overflowing with hormones

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Why don't we keep our Daleks in the greenhouse to keep it warm?
        In the good old days, greenhouses were heated with horse muck piled up outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
          In the good old days, greenhouses were heated with horse muck piled up outside.
          How did you get in then?
          Sorry - facetious comment! It would be possible, I suppose, to have a flue pipe from the Dalek leading into the greenhouse. I have sometimes thought that tumble driers should also be vented through a greenhouse. There must be lots of ways of putting heat into a greenhouse other than by conventional heaters. Must think on!!!

Comment

Ermhh through the door!! They weren't daft enough to block the access. If you get a chance to see programmes like the Victorian Kitchen Garden presented by Harry Doson (I think), I'm almost certain that at least one episode showed how it was done and the gardeners were even able to produce melons for them in the big house.

There was no shortage of horsemuck and cartloads from the stables were used and that was replaced regularly when it had run out of steam. The amount of heat generated by a dalek would be piffling in comparison.
            Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 16-11-2011, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
              I know - I didn't think heaps got that hot but the big twig I went to pull out to break up better than I had originally done was hot and I am no wussy. Was flabbergasted myself. Got to be the chicken poo?!
              For me, at least it's definately how much I wee in mine. I've got 1 dalek full of chicken poo + wood shavings + green waste, and then one that I've used my normal mix, without chicken poo - I wee in them both, but the non chicken poo one is hotter. I guess it's because of the amount of browns in the one with the chickens in - taking longer to start to break down.

Comment

But so are cows, goats and sheep, if you use farmyard manure - only male animals are routinely castrated, so unless you specifically request and can obtain manure from castrated males only, then you are bound to get hormone residue. Regular riding stables/livery yards will have their quota of mares, all going through a 3 weekly hormonal cycle, so where is the difference?
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                  You may need to consider the possibility of Q fever infection from manure obtained from a stud farm. Rare but not unknown.
                  Q fever is more often caught from farm animals, I believe it was originally called abbatoir fever. The Dutch do seem to have a problem with it in their dairy goat herds, but it seems to be still fairly uncommon in the UK
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

If its a stud farm the muck will be full of testosterone!

(Dread to think what the cucumbers will grow like)
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                      You may need to consider the possibility of Q fever infection from manure obtained from a stud farm. Rare but not unknown.
                      um... how?? Q fever is not commonly associated with horses, and is mainly spread by inhalation, from milk, meat, wool and birthing products (unless you think these are included in poop piles...)

Q fever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                        But so are cows, goats and sheep, if you use farmyard manure - only male animals are routinely castrated, so unless you specifically request and can obtain manure from castrated males only, then you are bound to get hormone residue. Regular riding stables/livery yards will have their quota of mares, all going through a 3 weekly hormonal cycle, so where is the difference?
                        I totally agree with you. In my post, I was just trying to point out that hormones will be present anyway and not necessarily be artificially introduced.

Comment

So am I, but it is ok as long as you feed me chocolate
                          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Why do I feel relieved?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X