Very overgrown allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dig day sounds great - anyone welcome! Message sent

Greasemonkey - thanks! I will check out these tools online - I hadn't heard of them before. I've yet to buy a spade, so am still looking! how do they differ from normal spades, will they get rid of brambles/roots?

Comment

Originally posted by greasemonkey67 View Post
      The best digging tools i have bought are a heavy duty right angled digging fork and a right angled digging hoe
      They're probably great for a strapping lad, but some of us ladies can't wield a normal fork let alone a heavy duty one.
      I use border sized tools and take my time
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Oh oh, I'm really excited - we have a meet!

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
          I am absolutley infested with bindweed...
          I just caught up all my Gardener's Worlds on the planner, and Monty Don said his plot (the jewel garden) was similarly infested.

He took out all his plants, then double-dug the whole plot, picking out every scrap of bindweed root, then put the plants back. He did say it was bloody hard work

Comment

The outside part of my allotment is full of white roots of something-or-other - not nettles, I don't think, because they're yellow: maybe couch-grass, because grass is the only other thing that seems to be there in abundance. Whatever it is, I'm removing as much as possible as I dig it over, but am resigned to having to do so again quite a few times in the future. So also with bindweed, I imagine.
            Last edited by StephenH; 01-11-2011, 12:51 PM.
            Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              I just caught up all my Gardener's Worlds on the planner, and Monty Don said his plot (the jewel garden) was similarly infested.

He took out all his plants, then double-dug the whole plot, picking out every scrap of bindweed root, then put the plants back. He did say it was bloody hard work
              I dare bet he's still got bindweed though.....................
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

^
                well I have, my patch was dug out every year, and the darn stuff came back stronger than ever. Hate it, hate it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X