No announcement yet.

Weed Control - Fabric or Plastic?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50M x 1M WOVEN GARDEN WEED CONTROL FABRIC GEOTEXTILE | eBay I bought this stuff, from this seller, to do my paths at the allotment. It's good quality, at a decent price, and the delivery was quick. They do larger or smaller amounts in their shop.

Having said that, for beds I'd probably go with a combination of cardboard/manure/straw and possibly top that with this stuff. It works better for the soil IMO to have some organic matter between the soil and the weed membrane.

Comment

Originally posted by endymion View Post
      it's a battle to keep the weeds down, made harder because of close planting
      Close planting should shade out a lot of the weeds, because the light isn't getting to them they don't grow so well (if at all). Do you mean it's harder to get in there to weed?

Originally posted by endymion View Post
      The rest of the family won't agree to having part of the garden covered with damp cardboard or newspaper
      That's why I top mine with a layer of soil: so you can't see the mulch
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The good thing is, as the soil on top of the mulch is shallow, and "loose" - any weeds that do germinate pull out extremely easy

Until the cardboard rots down, then you get hoooooge docks growing there, that some how you missed!

Comment

4 of sand,6 of gravel and one of cement is good!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You'd probably need a thicker plastic sheet underneath though, to keep the damp out

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              4 of sand,6 of gravel and one of cement is good!
              That a mulch Snadge?

Comment

I'll be changing to the cardboard route after being a bit dissatisfied with the woven membrane.

The fact that it is woven means that very small pin pricks of light get through and that is ample for the weeds, and they still grow, albeit slower, in their thousands. It's also very warm and damp and quite protective so the slugs adore it and take up mass residence.

The only part of the plot I use it on now are the permanent areas which are thickly barked.
                We're the Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                  Having said that, for beds I'd probably go with a combination of cardboard/manure/straw and possibly top that with this stuff. It works better for the soil IMO to have some organic matter between the soil and the weed membrane.
                  This sounds like a plan to me!

I'll get the thickest membrane I can (108gsm it seems) and start getting some down to stem the flow of the chickweed and start gathering cardboard in earnest to go underneath with some other soil enriching matter.

Thanks everyone!

Will report how it goes.
                  http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

I did 2 beds like that when I first had my plot. Meant I could grow potatoes and sweetcorn in patched that hadn't been fully cleared. It worked well, and the soil was a joy to dig afterwards to get the last docks etc out.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                      50M x 1M WOVEN GARDEN WEED CONTROL FABRIC GEOTEXTILE | eBay ... for beds I'd probably go with a combination of cardboard/manure/straw and possibly top that with this stuff. It works better for the soil IMO to have some organic matter between the soil and the weed membrane.
                      Does it fray when it's been cut?

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                        That a mulch Snadge?
                        Now thats an idea! Concrete the whole lottie then go around with a biscuit cutter before its set and cut out little growing circles!:rolleyes

On a similar note, one of the blokes at the lottie has a big sheet of black plastic with 3 inch diameter holes cut in it at appropriate spacing. Digs the ground over including adding organic material and a granular fertiliser, lays the sheet out (about 12 foot square) and sticks an onion set in each cut out. Seems to get canny crops with it and very little weeding!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Does it fray when it's been cut?
                          Yes, so don't cut it. I use a cooks blow torch and melt my way along the edge, seals it perfectly.
                          History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Originally posted by oldie View Post
                            Yes, so don't cut it. I use a cooks blow torch and melt my way along the edge, seals it perfectly.
                            Oooooh! That is a very handy tip, I'll make sure to take my little creme brulee device (as it is known in my house ) down to the lottie with me this weekend!
                            http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

I just fold it underneath

Comment

I always use cardboard, but that's because I get it free from work.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X