Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raised beds for soft fruit

Hi

I would like to grow raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries in raised beds for a family of 4. I seem to be obessed with the raised beds system, a) kids know where they can and can't walk and b) lifts my veg off my troublesome soil.

Please could someone recommend what size I should make the beds?

CADS

Blueberries will need a bed or large pot of their own as they have specific soil requirements. Raspberries I grow in a narrow bed about 8ft long at home and will grow them in a 10ft bed at the lottie, when I get it dug. The blackberry grew along the fence and the strawberries have a bed 6ft by 3 ft again at home but will have more at the lottie in due course. The blackberry was the victim of the new fence building, never got any fruit so can't advise quantities. Home raspberries gave a good crop but it is never enough! Strawberries in 2nd year this year and I am hopeful of a reasonable crop but still probably not enough for us.
    I guess what I am trying to say is that it depends how much room you have and how much you want to grow

Comment

Thanks for replying Suky. How many strawberry plants do you manage to fit in a 6'x3' bed?

Comment

Strawbs need to be about 12"-18" apart each way. You do the maths, I'm hopeless
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X