Keeping rabbits out

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping rabbits out

We, as in the committee, decided we should put rabbit proof fencing in before we allocated the plots on our new site, so the chairman and treasurer got quotes etc and got the work done. Now as far as I understood it, the netting should be laid flat at the bottom of a trench, which is then filled in burying the wire so they can't burrow under. Well when I was up on the site today I noticed all the fencers had done was laid the netting flat on the top of the ground, about 6 inches away from the fence, then tacked it to the existing fence, about 3ft tall I suppose. I think we could have managed that ourselves, it was the thought of digging the trench by hand that put us off the diy approach.
    Apparently one of the potential plot holders, whose house backs on to the site has reported there has been no rabbit sightings in the evenings, so it is obviously working! To be honest, I can't see why any sensible rabbit would go there at the moment, there is only bare dry earth. However, it might well be different once the plants get going, after all, they only need to go up to the gate to get through anyway, as no netting has been put on it at all. Hopefully as my plot is almost in the centre, any intrepid explorer rabbits will eat through the outermost plots first, and be too full to bother with mine.
    Last edited by BarleySugar; 25-04-2011, 05:56 PM.
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Judging by the rabbits I've known they're more likely to wander through the entire site sampling everything by biting the stalks off at the base.

If just laying the chicken wire on the ground, instead of burying it, works it'll be great news. You'll have to keep us posted.
    The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

That's exactly how I would have done it too. If you want the wire covered, a shovelful or two of soil will do the trick and will soon cover in vegetation.

Comment

That kind of 'skirt' is also the concept behind my eglu's fox proofing. I was dubious at first but it has worked for me for several years (doesn't deter rats though - think they are just too tenacious).

francesbean
        My Square Foot Gardening Experiment Blog :
        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...log_usercp.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X