Logistical nightmare!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logistical nightmare!

The local Council are proposing a scheme to lower the waiting lists which at first glance seems a good idea.
    I 'got wind' of this before the AGM so l decided to lie low in case I finished up Secretary again.

What they are proposing is that a certain ammount (not sure about percentages, but would guess 10%) of our plots are divided up into half plots.
    Two waiting lists would then be needed, one for the half plots and one for the half plottees waiting for a full plot.
    This would also help with the problem of people securing plots and not using them.

A lot of work for the Secretary but deffo a step in the right direction for lowering waiting lists!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

They would be better off splitting a few say into 3; and giving those as 'first' plot to manage and when they have grown on that for the first year with no problems, they then get full plots. Alot of people don't realise what work is involved so tie up a whole plot for a year; if they could see what work is involved in 1/3 size plots and then move up after year 1 then less full size plots would be unused year after year.

That's my theory, anyway! Like starter plots.....

*when I say after year one, I mean when the next full sized plots become available of course.
    Last edited by zazen999; 22-04-2011, 07:53 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with two separate lists. If someone wants a plot, they'll take whatever's on offer
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

we do this on our site only half plots let to new comers & after six months they can put their name down for a full plot, so far we've had no problems doing this we only have 1 list and its easy enought to keep track of
        The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

All full plots are now split into halves when they become vacant, no full plots available, but you can put yourself and your partner down for one each. We both have one now, mine at the bottom on the flat and his at the top on the hill in full sun, guess where I spend all my time now.

Just makesure anyone on any list checks their details are correct ie phone number especially, AND address. You might not get that call if you have changed.
          Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
          and ends with backache

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            They would be better off splitting a few say into 3; and giving those as 'first' plot to manage and when they have grown on that for the first year with no problems, they then get full plots. Alot of people don't realise what work is involved so tie up a whole plot for a year; if they could see what work is involved in 1/3 size plots and then move up after year 1 then less full size plots would be unused year after year.

That's my theory, anyway! Like starter plots.....

*when I say after year one, I mean when the next full sized plots become available of course.
            A lot of our plots have sheds, greenhouses, leek trenches et etc. These are usually left when people give up there plot and utilised by the next plot holder.To divide the plot into three would be a nightmare. Anyway, 1/3rd of a plot would be a postage stamp size!
            Nah, 1/2 a plot would be a useable space but 1/3rd a plot would be a waste of time as the paths seperating plots would take up a lot of the plot as well IMHO!

I get on well with my neighbours but I'm not sure i would relish being in such close proximity with em if i only had 1/3rd of a plot!
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              I wouldn't bother with two separate lists. If someone wants a plot, they'll take whatever's on offer
              If you have X amount of full plots and X amount of half plots and no plots available at present, surely you need two waiting lists?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

We've started to split any vacant plots into half plots, we got fed up of folks taking a plot, then when they find out how much work is involved not doing anything with it, then you've got the problem of getting keys back and turfing them off. Splitting the vacant plots into half plots and putting the new plot holders on a 3 month probation seems to be working atm, once they've proven that they can handle a half plot, then they are welcome to apply for another half, or to move to a full plot when one becomes available.
                Blessings
                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  A lot of our plots have sheds, greenhouses, leek trenches et etc. These are usually left when people give up there plot and utilised by the next plot holder.To divide the plot into three would be a nightmare. Anyway, 1/3rd of a plot would be a postage stamp size!
                  Nah, 1/2 a plot would be a useable space but 1/3rd a plot would be a waste of time as the paths seperating plots would take up a lot of the plot as well IMHO!

I get on well with my neighbours but I'm not sure i would relish being in such close proximity with em if i only had 1/3rd of a plot!
                  Aah - ours are full sized and are cleared before letting; so just the land.

I don't think 2 lists is workable!

Comment

Another problem i can forsee is, if you have permanent half plots and a half plottee wants a full plot, it will NOT be on the land he/she originally spent money/time on cultivating. Someone else will reap that benefit.
                    Likewise, you can't offer them the full plot as another half plottee will already be on the other half.
                    Last edited by Snadger; 22-04-2011, 09:08 AM.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
                      We've started to split any vacant plots into half plots, we got fed up of folks taking a plot, then when they find out how much work is involved not doing anything with it, then you've got the problem of getting keys back and turfing them off. Splitting the vacant plots into half plots and putting the new plot holders on a 3 month probation seems to be working atm, once they've proven that they can handle a half plot, then they are welcome to apply for another half, or to move to a full plot when one becomes available.
                      Do you have half plots in permanent positions though i.e. always half plots?

I agree wholeheartedly about the probationary period but our plots at present only become available annually in May!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                        Aah - ours are full sized and are cleared before letting; so just the land.

I don't think 2 lists is workable!
                        If this is laid down as the law by the local council (in kahoots with NSALG), then there is no option!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Some good ideas here!

1. NAWG to set minimum standards for plot cultivation, and ensure that each site carries out regular inspections based upon these standards with annual inspections by the Allotment Officer, NAWG area representative and site secretary.

2. All new plot holders will be given a maximum of a half plot to cultivate. Those demonstrating the ability and desire to cultivate a full plot will be given the opportunity to do so. This requires each site to hold two waiting lists.
                          3. The City Council will undertake to protect Newcastles existing 62 allotment sites. This will necessitate negotiation with the Freemen on the management of sites on Town Moor land, significant progress towards the re-designation of sites from temporary to statutory status.

4. Newcastle City Council and the Allotment Working Group will investigate the suitability of private and public land for new allotment sites within the City and when opportunities arise will identify adequate funding for establishing new sites, with the aim of providing for current and future allotment demand

5. Management will be improved by more active liaison with councillors and by more designated strategic and monitoring time at a senior level above that of Allotment Officer

6. The Newcastle Allotment Working Group will work towards ensuring that all allotment sites in Newcastle have the basic facilities of: water, secure perimeter fencing or hedging, on-site toilets and for the old and less able.

7. The Newcastle Allotment Working Group will continue to promote a sense of a Newcastle allotment community, to promote an increase in social facilities and events on sites and will facilitate communal tenure of plots, with a central register of all communal plots as a first step in encouraging disadvantaged and minority groups into allotment gardening.

8. The Newcastle Allotment Working Group will encourage school involvement in allotment sites and will create a template children and vulnerable adult protection policy.

9. The Newcastle Allotment Working Group will hold a central register of crimes on its 62 sites and produce a co-ordinated plan to deter crime and encourage associations to involve local community policing.

10. The Newcastle Allotment Working Group will collate information upon flooding throughout all sites and will liaise with relevant bodies to alleviate flooding and identify sources of finance for this work.

11. The Newcastle Allotment Working Group will research the current use of pesticides and herbicides on its allotment sites with a view to a focussed educational programme advocating organic gardening.

12. The Newcastle Allotment Working Group in conjunction with a further education partner will conduct research to show the carbon savings of Newcastles allotments.

13. Newcastle Allotment Working Group in co-ordination with Newcastle City Council will initiate a pilot project to produce renewable energy on an allotment site with a view to a larger renewable energy project for Newcastles allotments.

14. Newcastle Allotment Working Group, in conjunction with the new Wildlife Strategy, will support sites in joint projects with voluntary wildlife conservation bodies and will create a specific plan designed to educate allotment holders about how to improve the conservation of wildlife and eliminate threats to wildlife on their 62 sites.

15. Newcastle Allotment Working Group, in conjunction with the Bee Strategy, will encourage bee-keeping on its allotment sites; will promote education about the importance of bees, their decline, and how plots may be improved as a source of year-round forage for bees.

16. Newcastle Allotment Working Group will arrange a citywide survey of allotment hedging to gauge the potential for an extensive hedge-planting campaign.

These look a bit daunting and will, no doubt, take a great deal of achieving, but in the spirit of a green and pleasant Newcastle and making the best use of the land resource we have, we have a responsibility to ensure that we do our best in the next five years to meet them. The task will be made easier if you all please ensure that you meet the conditions of the Council leases and your own site rules.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

At our new site we are only offering half national size plots, with some quarter size. We did think of calling them starter plots, but then thought it would be a problem if people decided they wanted a bigger one, and it wasn't available. Basically we asked all the people on the waiting list what their preference was, and if they would refuse a plot not of their chosen size. Then they were emailed a plan of the site and asked to give 3 choices as preferred plot number. Shed positions were indicated as well as per the planning application. The plots were allocated depending on the place in the waiting list. I was lucky being given my first choice as although the plan was changed a bit after we all expressed a preference, it actually worked out better for me, as I've ended up with a water point at 2 corners of the plot We did end up with a few larger plots, but they area 'funny' shape. Mine is rectangular, 10m by 12.5m, so easy to plan out beds. Of course, being a new site, we on the commitee had to come up with what we felt was a fair way of dividing up the land depending on the number of people on the waiting list. Hopefully we have come up with a workable solution.
                            I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                            Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                              Another problem i can forsee is, if you have permanent half plots and a half plottee wants a full plot, it will NOT be on the land he/she originally spent money/time on cultivating. Someone else will reap that benefit.
                              Likewise, you can't offer them the full plot as another half plottee will already be on the other half.
                              Is there any reason you can't split the new plot and offer them the option of keeping their original half plot, plus taking on a second half plot, if they would prefer that?
                              The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X