north west site

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• north west site

Hi all I am new to the forum and need advice. I have not got an allotment due basically to lack of time trying to keep that going as well as my garden. Therefore I have sectioned off a part of the garden where the hens are to create raised beds for veg. However this area faces north and there is a large building directly behind my garden. This casts shade over the area from probably August September onwards and direct sun doesn't get to this bit of the garden until late March or April. It does get hot then and due to this building being here, it is very sheltered from the wind. the soil is also very nice and not unlike the rest of the garden, waterlogged. In every respect the plot is perfect except for the shade of this building for most of the year. All the books say the veg plot must be sunny. I don't have that option although it is in all other respects open to the sky. Will I still be able to grow carrots, parsnips, swede, sprouts, scorzonera, salsify peas and beans? I have never grown any of this yet but have already put a lot of work into the area such as double digging and incorporating organic matter and the like. I have also constructed my raised beds. Will the lack of light during the autumn and winter months ruin my chances of a good crop?

Originally posted by helen1962 View Post
    carrots, parsnips, swede, sprouts, scorzonera, salsify peas and beans? ... Will the lack of light during the autumn and winter months ruin my chances of a good crop?
    Peas and beans are harvested before winter (the others don't actively grow in winter either, they just sit there until you eat them)

Get your crops off to as good and early a start as you can, and see how they do
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 28-02-2011, 07:43 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks I will give it a try

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X