No announcement yet.

Tillers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filled my 2 stroke mantis with fresh fuel yesterday, a couple of pumps of the primer, choke set and fired on first pull. Pushed choke closed and it then started. I am so chuffed.

Comment

Hi Whitespin,

My mum's got a Honda FG110 that I use on my plot (see my blog below, guilty secret post). I love it, it is brilliant, and so easy to use.

We've had it three years and it starts first time, even when sat in the shed for most of the year. The tilth of the soil that it makes is verging on the beautiful!
      Last edited by Jono; 13-03-2011, 09:59 AM.
      Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.

Comment

Due to arthritis in my shoulder and bone degeneration in my neck digging by hand is slow and painful,so I bought a secondhand MTD Rotivator and its a god send.

At the end of this season I will be switching to a raised bed no dig system.
        The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

I have been saving up for weeks to buy a tank of petrol for my rotovator so i can get my tattiie trenches ready.
          Roger
          Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

One guy on our site uses a Mantis on his raised beds . It does the business. Really fine tilth and easy for him to use. Which he needs.
            Me!!!! I use an old Merry Tiller bought for £50. It's a god send on my wet soil. I work full time and the time I have up the allotment isn't as much as I'd like The merry tiller doesn't half make light work of my sometimes neglected and compacted plot. But it is hard work on the body. It has a mind of its own, especially on full throttle

Comment

I've got a 2-stroke Mantis that the old fella donated. Despite having it serviced by Mantis last year, it's the devil itself to start. Having said that, once it is running, it's ok. It will dig virgin ground, but it's hard work. The four beds on the right were dug using it:

I don't think it was actually any less work than digging, but the tilth produced you couldn't match with a spade. Each one took almost a full day (I went down about 20" in parts), but it only took about 15-20 minutes this year to go over the ones that were already dug.

Unbreakable serpentine blades? Well, I've taken the tips off a few of them, due to the rubbish that lies beneath the grass (everything from whole paving slabs to lumps of brickwork the size of my head), so I do need to see what Mr Mantis says about their lifetime guarantee.

Am I happy with it? Most of the time, yes. Do I wish I had a 4-stroke? Absolutely.
              Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
              By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
              While better men than we go out and start their working lives
              At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Hi

I have 4 stroke mantis and love it. I find it easy to manage and start. I would recommend it but it has to be the individuals choice.
                Its gets used om my lottie and at home in the couple of raised bed I have. The OH is like a kid with it and does most of the rotovating. It was a present from the OH but I didn't get to use it for a good few months after I had it. Ah well boys and there toys.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X