Boundary issues -Couch grass at allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boundary issues -Couch grass at allotment

H everyone, its my first time posting here although I'm a regular on 'rule the roost' I have a problem at the lottie and thought you would be able to help.

Our site is very small - around 17 plots, all half size and its not well run. I keep my lottie tidy but its does need re-arranging and sorting out somewhat. My neighbour on the other hand never cuts his grass - I do the middle path and I feel that I don't have enough time to sort my plot out because I am constantly having to battle the encroaching couch grass.

I will be talking to the secretary soon but am not holding out for an action to be taken. Will try the authority next.

My thoughts are that I would like to get rid of the grass on the path and put weed membrane and chippings down.

What would be the best barrier to use between the path and the neighbour's plot to stop the grass coming through no matter how high it gets?

Any ideas or suggestions very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Polo

Can you spray it as soon as it starts to grow? I would ask your Secretary and Chairman to help, also bring it up in your Meetings. Have you got a Committee, if not can you get one started and make some ground rules.
    Are the Allotments Council owned, if so, have you an Allotment Officer attached to the Council, they could also help.
    Best of Luck

Liz

Comment

Originally posted by polo View Post
      I am constantly having to battle the encroaching couch grass.
      Same here, it's annoying isn't it?

What I've done is to dig a 1' trench at the sides of my plot. This stops most of the couch coming over. Then I planted comfrey all the way up the side of the trench (on my side) to further keep it at bay

It's working so far, only a few stray roots make their way over onto my plot now.

On the other side, my neighbour doesn't bother to weed his path (although his raised beds are immaculate). Therefore his annual weeds are left to seed themselves all over my plot

I try and deadhead them before they seed (when he's not around) but it's a losing battle.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks!

Hi Guys - thanks so much!

Lizzy - will be contacting the Secretary to she what he says but doubt it will help Also need to think carefully how to involve the council without causing hassle for everyone else. Politics!

Two sheds - ace idea! cheap and do-able Could also start filling them back in if I can get my hands on a suitable barrier too, thinking rigid plastic or something similar. This is where my skip diving skillls come in handy

DOnt know if you remember responding to my sharing allotment post on the other board - it got me thinking about it - sharing could be tricky and the problem is not the size of the lottie - its the neighbour causing problems so I will tackle that first.

Cheers Polo

Comment

Have you spoke to your neighbour? My Plot is at the side of a school plot so particularly in the summer nothing is done with it for at least 6 weeks. I also have various issues with couch grass, complete pain! I have sunk paving slabs on their side to provide an edging to the path, but also a barrier for the couch grass roots. Seems to work at the moment.

It can be such a pain, particularly if it is an issue that the committee won't back you up on, but hopefully they will!

Steve

Comment

Yes, I have spoken to the neighbour and he isn't interested. Paving slabs also a good idea if I can get my hands on some.

Its a shame isn't it becasue you wait so long to get a lottie and its so easily ruined by not bothered neighbours!

Polo

Comment

Originally posted by polo View Post
              its so easily ruined by not bothered neighbours!
              Challenged, not ruined

Comment

Yes - Positive Mental Attitude !

Comment

Boundary paths are often a bone of contention on allotments. As a chairman I often have to try and sort disputes out and it is not easy. If a path has couch grass in how does the owner stop it encroaching on your plot. All we insist on is that the grass is kept short. We don't usually encourage people to lay fabric and use chippings although we would probably allow bark.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
                    If a path has couch grass in how does the owner stop it encroaching on your plot.
                    - don't let it seed
                    - take an edge cutter to the edges of the path
                    - if it's really bad, spray/dig out the lot and replace with something nicer

Comment

Trouble is Goji berry - the grass is around 2 foot high come summer - thats the problem

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X