No announcement yet.

The Start Of Something Beautiful

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im trying to gather pallets as we speak for many things including wood and to build compost bins would heavy duty pond liner be of no good for the edgeing?

Also tbh the roots i have seen atm only really go down to about 4-5 inches less than a spade length but i still wish to double dig im sorting hoping it will boost crops for my first year

atm im just work, college, gym, allotment tbh

Comment

Insy, welcome to the vine, it looks like you have gone great guns and done so much work already. I look forward to reading your updates on how you are getting on

Kx

Comment

insy, well done getting your hands on an allotment! You've obviously got bags of energy but please, spare a moment and re-consider the double digging! It's hard, hard work and I'm really not sure the extra time and effort you put into it is worth it. Is the soil really compacted?

I started working my allotment a couple of years ago. It was derelict for a couple of years and quite overgrown, but I systematically cut it all down, dug it over removing most of the weed and grass roots and made 10 raised no-dig beds after reading Charles Dowding's no-dig method. You should really consider it as it saves you so much effort and the rewards are excellent. I've seen his farm first hand and it's amazing. You could probably pick up his books at your local library for a quick read.

Looking forward to following your journal! Good luck.
        My 2014 No Dig Allotment
        My 2013 No Dig Allotment
        My 2012 No Dig Allotment
        My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

The first spade depth isnt to bad very nice soil compared to many holes ive dug for work and in gardens and that, but after that its like clay i dont mind putting the effort in tbh as long as it all helps in the end process. I hvnt been up there today and only lsightly yesterday due to work this weekend dont want to be too tired, ill probably be back up there tommorow to finish my third trench/hole.

I have no plans to plant anything yet until next year probably so i have plenty of time, but saying that i may change my mind and get 1 bed ready just to play about with some onions or something. With regarding the holes again i will be sieving the remaining soil back in and mixing tons of compost in witht he soil then place tons fo manure on top ready for the rain to flush them nutrients through the soil

I have been looking about for a greenhouse aswell for over there and ive seen a 6ftx6ft one in homebase for £76.00 nice and cheap compared to most ive seen and probably the right price to be able to buy so hopefully ill be able to get some stuff in there next year aswell

Comment

Insy, why don't you get one small(ish) bed ready and get some overwintering onion sets to put in. Wilkinsons and a lot of the garden centres are selling them at the moment. It does help to feel you are actually growing something, and it will probably keep the weeds down. Also garlic can go in October(ish).

Comment

Do i have to buy sets? or is it to late to do seeds? i may try get one of them holes ready

Do you think pond lining will be strong enough to stick up the edges of holes/beddings to keep the surrounding grass and weed roots out and from spreading into my onion bed?

Im also curious where would i get some well rotted manure to shove in now as horse manure ill probably get will be still wet and not dry enough

Comment

Ok done a bit of looking alot of places are sold out but i found these

Onion : Autumn Planting : Senshyu ( about 50-75 sets depends on size )

Onion : Autumn Planting : Electric ( about 50-75 sets depends on size )

How much space would i need approx you recon both varities to be planted?

Comment

Well Done Incy your plot is taking shape already would second the planting onions it's nice to know that you are already growing something keep up the good work

Comment

is there anyone with horses near you if so just go and ask if its too fresh it will save it wont go OFF lol

Comment

Yer I know loads of people with horses I even worked at a few places that have stables so finding horse manure but I thought it has to be well rotted beforre u should put in your beds? If not can I grab some this week mix it it in with the soil and compost and plant onions in straight away with the onions getting harmed ?

Comment

Insy you may be lucky and find a stack that has been rotting for a while. I just dig out the oldest end of the muck heap. Otherwise it may be best to stack it over winter and use it next spring.
                        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Insy, I would'nt mix in fresh horse manure. Can you build a heap and leave it to rot down till next year. The onions won't need it anyway. Your land looks fertile enough. As to spacing for onions, I would suggest about 6 inches apart. You can plant them in blocks - they don't have to be in straight rows.

Comment

Originally posted by insy View Post
                            Yer I know loads of people with horses I even worked at a few places that have stables so finding horse manure but I thought it has to be well rotted beforre u should put in your beds? If not can I grab some this week mix it it in with the soil and compost and plant onions in straight away with the onions getting harmed ?
                            Insy, be careful with the manure. There is an ongoing situation regarding herbicide having been used on grazing pasture or fed to horses through hay and believe me you do not want to be contaminating your lovely plot and destroying all your hard work for the next few years. Check on the search feature for AMINOPYRALID and see what it says. Unless the stable or horse owners can guarantee that the bedding and feed are herbicide free then I would not risk it. Sorry to burst the bubble but there has been much heartache for gardeners, including people on this site, who have been affected.

Comment

Insy, dont 'buy' a greenhouse, look on Freecycle and Friday Ads, there are often ones for free on there (we've had 2 for free!)

I'd deffo urge you to plant some overwintering garlic and onion sets, its great to get your first harvests from them next year!
                              Blessings
                              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                              Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                              Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                              On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Why not use the horse manure? man this is getting so confusing people say use this then people say dont use that, and the greenhouse thing its hard cause i dont drive and only person i know who could pick stuff like that up would be my dad and hes busy alot i was just thinking would be easier to deliver but ill give it a look at i wont get greenhosue till spring anyway

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X