Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is still hope...

Comment

when i was doun the plot on sunday I could see it comeing back up after all that digging an all its inbetween our onions tryed getting it out and it whent snap again
      Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
      Dobby

Comment

I read some where, sorru cant remember where reading so much new gardening info at the moment, Please forgive if it was on here POINT is that Tagetes Minuta, Mexican marigold is said to give something off from its roots that kills dind weed roots and those of other pereninal weeds. Haventtried it yet but my seeds arrived yesterday from 'Sarah Ravens Kitchen and garden Range' priced at £1-95. I had to search the web for them, as they arn't stocked as yet by main seed companies. They grow to about 4/5 ft and smell bd and are ugly - but its worth putting up with all the bad points if the good one works as stated.
        Has any grape ever tryed these? if so do they work?
        Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
        -- Alfred E. Neumann
        http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

Thank you for post LJ it proves what graet info there is on here, and a great freindly place to learn.
          Thank you for your time moderating it for us.
          Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
          -- Alfred E. Neumann
          http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

If you are going to use Glysophate or uther cemicals use a cut down pop bottle place the bottle over the weed and spray down the neck of the bottle that way it will only go on the weed
            Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
            Dobby

Comment

I had bindweed in my garden and managed to get rid of it, in the end I had to follow and dig out every single root.
              Belgrave-allotments.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Dobby View Post
                If you are going to use Glysophate or uther cemicals use a cut down pop bottle place the bottle over the weed and spray down the neck of the bottle that way it will only go on the weed
                Brilliant tip, Dobby - thank you.

Comment

I also have bindwind on my allotments. I keep digging it out, it keeps it down, but still having trouble with it. Someone has suggested, when it comes into leaf use a burning gun on it, it supposed to kill the cells and hopefully the plant will die. I am going to try this out this year.

Comment

I see it as a marathon, not a sprint. Keep it down little and often. After 4 years it is seriously weakening on my plot. Each year brings less . I can tolerate it now and eventually it will be gone. Every time it shows it's head, get rid of it. It has to give up eventually......doesn't it?

Comment

I dug a 4ft sq area on my new plot and got a wheel barrow full. On the other plot I just toake the heads off as they grow up.
                      My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

I think its bindweed I have down the edge of my back garden, coming in from next doors garden methinks. Keep digging the darn things out - unfortunately, as I discovered last year when I decided to grow my own, that it had invaded my compost heap - so I can't use it! I managed to kill it under the greenhouse but its creeping back again around the back fence - on with the gloves, picking up the fork - and war commences once again! Bernie aka Dexterdog
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

We took on our allotment 18 months ago, with absolutely no gardening experience whatsoever!

We dug out the bindweed as we went, but just under 1/4 of the plot was so badly covered with weeds we just kept putting off tackling it.

Just over a year ago I was rushed into hospital and ended up having pretty major abdominal surgery and couldn't get to the allotment for a couple of months.

My OH worked really hard, but in the end we gave up on the bad corner, sprayed roundup, covered everything with manure and then put black plastic over it.

Yesterday we finally plucked up the courage to take the plastc off.

Spent 3 and half hours digging it all over, filled a huge sack with roots, but it was very satisfying work and it looks fab now.

As someone else said above, we wish we could stir fry those roots... or our other plan was to sell them on ebay for people who want to get revenge on neighbours from hell...

I'm just off to the allotment now to plant my spuds in the newly dug bit!

As for the rest of the allotment, we're winning the battle against the bindweed by digging it out wherever it dares to show itself.

Comment

Well done michelle! It just goes to show that if you take your time and break anything too difficult into manageable chunks then you will get there in the end!
                            Bernie aka Dexterdog
                            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Discovered my new worstist enemy at the weekend. Never knew what bindweed was until Saturday.I was digging a new bed for my Sugarsnap Peas and my neighbour identified the dreaded Bindweed. He himself is on a crusade to eradicate the Satan String (just decided that's it's new name from now on for me), and he uses this stuff in alittle can - I can't recall what it's called, but the can has a little paintbrush built into the lid, and I think the "liquid" looks kind of red in colour.

After several hours digging yesterday I can see the attraction of using this stuff. I now have a wheel barrow full of Udon noodles which look like they would go down nicely with some Pak Choi and a dash of soy sauce, and a slightly achy back with a collection of blisters on my hands.

I dug over another 4x9 foot patch (on my Dad's advice) to loosen up and break down the soil a bit to help make it easier to get at the Satan String - that's my next job when I get back from holiday on the 10th. Gawd only knows how much of the stuff there will be when I get back!!
                              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Serves me right for being smug, but I comented to my neighbour that it looked like bindweed coming up in his plot and that he was going to have problems with it as it is a perniciuos weed.

Went to dig my leek trench which had no sign of bindweed only to find that under the soil was like a map of the underground! Dug out all I could but have an unhappy feeling I haven't seen the last of it!
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X