rabbits!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rabbits!

as off today, i have met all my immediate lottie neighbours and every single one of them has told me all about the rabbits living under the shed on my plot!

everytime i go there i see one running under the shed! i have been looking on tinternet about how to stop them, number one idea seems to be to shoot them, which is great in theory, if one, you have a gun and two, dont mind attracting the police!!

i have read that i could put up fencing and bury it at least 2 foot in the ground, now feeling like this might all start gettin very expensive! however, putting up fencing is a great idea, but if they have burrowed under my plot how can i be sure that i dont trap them in rather than trapping them out!

anyone else had a similar problem?

s.x
    sophie.x

http://www.dressedupdigger.blogspot.com/

Hi baby blue, we also have a burrow on our plot-we have a big hole behind our shed which we have blocked up, but you can't ever trap them in-they have lots of other exits!! We have a resident fox who isn't interested in them & this year we have had the worst damage ever. We have completely netted every bed that containns stuff that they like, but we don't bury it, just peg it down securely. They are too lazy to burrow under, but they can & do jump & also to my amazement, bite holes in the wire netting. Baby rabbits can get through wide netting, so if you do net, buy narrow (1 inch) wide holes-we got ours in a Wilkos sale reasonably cheap.
    They don't eat potato foliage and so far our pumpkins & BNS have been safe, but they will eat everything else. Think that netting might be your best option, good luck!!

Comment

thanks winnie for your advice,

i was wondering why the potatoes i inheted were still in tact!! not feeling confident about the courgettes i planted last night.

looks like i'm off to buy netting today!

i did find one helpful site with lots of information on plants that are toxic to rabbits though, i think the idea was to NOT feed them to the rabbits

sophie.x
      sophie.x

Comment

is there anybody on the site with a ferret & a few purse nets

Comment

no ferrets unfortunately!

i've been to wilkos today and got some netting. i might try catching them too and giving them to my grandad, i rememer he often came home with rabbits for dinner when i was a little girl!! lol or maybe not!

thanks for your help! i foolishly thought i would only have to worry about birds and slugs!
          sophie.x

Comment

We were warned that we'd need to put rabbit fencing up so it has gone round most of our half plot buried by about 6 inches or so. Got the posts and chicken wire at a farming supply shop which was reasonable for the 50 metres of chicken wire I bought.

Comment

Try snaring them to add to your meat ration! Rabbit stew.........Yummmmm!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                Try snaring them to add to your meat ration! Rabbit stew.........Yummmmm!
                i was going to snare them, looked on you tube to see how it was done, saw a rabbit kind of screaming after being snared, not pleasent. i think i'll give the snaring a miss!

i'll just have to do the fencing instead!
                sophie.x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X