Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you use to carry your harvest home?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
    (although tbh I eat strawbs on the plot, they don't travel well)
    How do you know, TS?!

Sounds to me like they don't travel AT ALL!
    Last edited by basketcase; 24-06-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

No, I have tried taking them home, honest. They just go mushy

Oh, I like the blue fish boxes too: ideal for transporting seedlings up, and produce back, on the rear rack
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 25-06-2010, 07:09 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for all the great ideas grapes.

I'm making a collection to keep at the lottie so I won't be caught out on my 'quick pop to check on things' visits which are never quick!

I even rescued a sturdy shoe box from a neighbours recycling today -nice and big for all those beans, peas, courgettes, sweetcorn etc etc etc ...........

Keep the ideas coming though

Comment

I'm just gardening at home, but my sister used to be into horses and had those plastic carry trays with different compartments that hold grooming stuff. I've commandeered one of those. I can't quite get the horse stickers off though!

Comment

all sorts of horse stuff comes in very useful for gardening too
            Last edited by weekendwellies; 25-06-2010, 01:07 PM.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

You can also buy stretchy covers for the boxes I've mentioned, with a hole in the middle that fits snugly around the handle, so you can still carry it.

They probably sell the boxes and maybe the covers in places like pound shops, homeware shops and horse shops.

Comment

this type?

http://images.robinsons-uk.com/produ...e/47003-01.jpg

http://images.robinsons-uk.com/produ...e/47615-01.jpg
                Last edited by weekendwellies; 25-06-2010, 01:52 PM.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

these are good to for fitting onto shed doors or sides to hang your tools up on

http://images.robinsons-uk.com/produ...e/44951-01.jpg

Comment

Those are the ones!

Comment

I use the blue plastic mushrooms boxes to ferry plants and harvests to and from my garden up the allotment I also have 2/3 of the green plastic bread boxes in different sizes which are better for the heaver crops/items and a rucksack if I'm on my bike ..
                      Chris

My Allotment Journal @
                      Google+ and Youtube

https://plus.google.com/106010041709270771598/posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/GrowingJournal/videos
                      -

Updated Regularly-Last Update was 30-05-16

Comment

Whatever comes to hand at the time! Wrapped in newspaper, carried in hand,carrier bag,bucket or old plantpot!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have two trugs but keep forgetting to use them lol, I also keep ice cream tubs, any plastic container that I have bought toms or mushrooms in, carrier bags and anything else that looks useful. I take them to the plot and leave them in the shed. Sort everything out when I get home, wash containers and put them back in my lottie bag that I use to take my water etc in.
                          Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                          and ends with backache

Comment

Those tall plastic plantpots which things like rose bushes or clematis come in are perfect for broad/runner beans and carrots. After filling I just pop the whole plantpot into a cloth bag and sling it over the handlebars of my bike, keeps them from getting squished on the way home. For small amounts of fruit like currants I use old playdoh pots. I originally took them to the lottie to use on top of canes to stop the children poking their eyes, but I tend to steal any nearby when I have an impromptu harvest whilst weeding! If I'm in the car I use a big pink trug and layer it with the heavy stuff at the bottom and the lighter stuff at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by gorgeousgrower View Post
                              I live a few mins walk from my allotment and was thinking today about what I'll need to keep at the lottie to carry home my harvest.

What do you use?
                              Thanks
                              We live about 7 minutes wander from the allotment, dearly beloved uses her nice wee wooden trug and or her nice big Tesco hessian bag..............Muppet here gets to use an empty 150 litre compost bag............I know my place I does..........................

Comment

I use a green plastic trug that came free with a gardening mag years ago.
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X