What to use for my paths?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paths

We have a maze of grass paths round and between our allotments, we are obliged by the committee to keep them neat,trimmed and safe for others accessing their plots. My plot is a mixture of one main grass path down the centre and carpeted paths between raised beds with bark chips on top of that. I'm experimenting with wood left over from decking the garden and some purpose made plastic roof tiles that clip together (also leftovers). the wood and tiles are slippery and i will probably remove them soon and use the for something else. So carpet or weed suppressant and chipping seem to be best, even though it needs renewing once a year. its also free, from local tre surgeon and carpet shop with a big skip full of old hessian backed carpet.
    Retirement is when you stop living at work and start working at living

Comment

Astroturf

Serendipity rules. Today me and my allotment chum were discussing what to do about weedy paths between beds, and I mentioned carpet, but wasn't really happy with the idea. A light bulb went on above her head, as she remembered cylcing past a fly-tipped pile of Astroturf on the way there. Three trips later we had enough to make our paths. It's got to be weed-proof, will not rot, super durable, and blends beautifully with the surroundings. Have been advised they use salt, so we'll be rinsing it off. Apart from that, I can't see any drawbacks.
      Chuffed!

Comment

Originally posted by silverfork View Post
        Serendipity rules. Today me and my allotment chum were discussing what to do about weedy paths between beds, and I mentioned carpet, but wasn't really happy with the idea. A light bulb went on above her head, as she remembered cylcing past a fly-tipped pile of Astroturf on the way there. Three trips later we had enough to make our paths. It's got to be weed-proof, will not rot, super durable, and blends beautifully with the surroundings. Have been advised they use salt, so we'll be rinsing it off. Apart from that, I can't see any drawbacks.
        Chuffed!
        Astroturf usually has a fine grade of sand brushed into the fibres on the pitch. I wouldn't fancy playing on it if salt was used because one of its downfalls is that players get 'carpet burns' if they go to ground!

Carpet burns with salt rubbed into them sounds wonderful!

As you say though, it would make excellent paths!

PS The third and forth generation pitches use rubber crumb infill, it's a shame some of that hadn't been fly tipped also!
        Last edited by Snadger; 14-10-2007, 08:06 AM.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi

I just mow my paths with a push mower from freecycle.
          Its easy, and its good exercise.

Tigerella

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X