Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Co-operative Allotment

Hi

An opportunity has arisen to set-up a new private co-operative allotment on a 4 acre site on private land (30 year lease). I was wondering of anyone has previous experience on setting up a new allotment and can provide us with any advice / lessons learned / grant or funding advice that could us make this a success.

Anything at all that could possibly help would be greatfully received.

Cheers

Kenny.

Over the years there have been several threads on this subject. It's really is quite a large topic. I'd suggest you have a look at the search function at the top of the page.

You'll need to form a society with AGM etc. and probably join Nsalg. This seems the simplest way to run affairs. Not sure what you meant by co-op there?...but having been around allotments a while I've seen many good intentioned folk come and go.

You will need to consider getting it cleared, ploughed and set out... then what facilities, machinery,access and security you'll need. If a portion of your prospective tenants (where are they coming from ...the council waiting list?) take 1/2 plots you might have 100+ In short the more you can get done yourselves the better...ultimately rents will reflect this.

If you can be a bit more specific it will help us give you guidance.

Comment

Paul

Many thanks for your reply - I admit I got a bit lazy and should have used the search function. I appreciate you mentioning the NSLAG, I had not heard of this organisation before and the site is full of useful information.

Details are fairly vague at the moment - we are only at the stage of gaining interest from the local community. If anyone reading this is from the Wellington (Telford) area, we are meeting at the Cock Hotel in Wellington on Tuesday 29th June at 7.30 to gauge interest and set up a Steering Group to take this forward.

If anyone is interested and would like any further information, please PM me and I will keep all informed in how we get on.

Cheers

Kenny

Comment

Hi

Did this ever take off - if so where abouts is the site situated. Thanks

Comment

Hi Kath.

The post was only 9 days ago; so I'm supposing it is still being set up.

Comment

14Kath - I have responded to your PM.

Just as a brief update, we held a meeting on 29th and there was sufficient interest for us to start a feasibility study into the cost (initial set-up / ongoing) and the suitability of proposed site.

We are confident on the site but as with most things, cost will be the main issue but we have some experience of obtaining grants etc.

We are still at very early stages but the group are keen to get stuck in so hopefully we can make this work.

If anyone has queries on this feel free to drop on here or send me a PM and if anyone has advice (there is so much in different places on the net...sometimes you get a bit lost !) this would be gratefully appreciated.

I will provide updates as we go.

Cheers

Kenny.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X