No announcement yet.

is it worth it

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting those vacant plots taken would probably help quite a lot...more people up there at different times.Could you perhaps start a thread in the Allotment Finder section,maybe there's people looking on there for a plot?

As for chickens...it is a worry.Ours are at our plot and we have had a few(raelly not many) visits from folk that have broken locks on sheds and such but they've never(touch wood) messed with the chooks.We lock them in their coops every night.
    A couple of people on our site have made their runs using the security/scaffolding fencing,although I'm sure it's not totally foolproof I think it would put most 'quick thrill seeking' peeps off trying...far too much hard work;

In our second year of having a lottie many of our squash would 'disappear' and we had our shed broken into a couple of times and tools left lying about around the site.I had big doubts about carrying on.
    About the same time I'd collected lots of bits with the kiddies to make a giant scarecrow,I was worried it would be a sitting target and thought how upset the kiddies would be to go up there and find it trashed so nearly didn't bother...this is his third year of standing tall guarding our crops
    I'm sure you and your kids will get as much enjoyment out of your plot as we do so don't give up.
    There was a thread last year about keeping your plot secure...lots of different tips.Maybe worth a search.
    Good Luck.xxx
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

A little tip for you straight from a Policeman's mouth. Every time your shed gets broken into whether anything is stolen or not, report it to the police (you can even do it online nowadays). He doesn't claim that they'll catch the scroates but in his words "unfortunately those who shout loudest and longest get the resources".

If the police see a pattern or believe that there is a problem they can direct resources to that particular area. Increased patrols are often a very good deterrent at keeping the hooded scroates at bay.
      It was dark. And cold. And very, very empty.

And in the middle of all of the dark, cold, emptiness lay something darker, and colder, but very, very full.

Comment

thanks rixy. I have reported it to the police and i will tell the other people to do so also.

Comment

I'll second Rixy's suggestion - many times I've heard 'there isn't a crime problem' in a certain area - there is, but people don't bother to report it - for those areas who do report it, resources are much more abundant, as the Police need to target 'hot spots' to keep their crime figures down - report, report, report is my mantra!
          'May your cattle never wander and your crops never fail'

Comment

well the police came to see me yesterday and told me there had been atleast 4 other reports recently so he is going to get intouch with the council and see if theres any preventions the council can put up (new fence or cctv) but knowing our council it will be neither

Comment

I think, once the election kerfuffle has died down, that this may well be a good local interest story - either for your local newspaper or for your new MP / Councillors? Then you can complain about one to the other if they do nothing!
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X