No announcement yet.

A link to Supersprout's Allotment...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mate at work's got an 'oss. It has straw as bedding. Bedding gets changed. He has a trailer. He likes beer.

Somehow, that all seems to add up perfectly to me.
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

would like too see this method in action is there anyone using this method on the wirral,after diggin a 12x12 plot over on wednesday cant use me knee(loads of operations) so this seems way forward for me

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
        What about seeds? If weeds won't germinate through the mulch, seeds won't either, surely? I really want to give this a go, coz I'm reet lazy, me. I'm sure this is my way forward.

So if I throw the contents of my compost bin over my raised beds, and then want to plant eg. beetroot, should I move the mulch, sow & not replace the mulch, or start the beetroot in modules first?
        Seeds do germinate in mulch i use shredded green waste from tree surgeon and succesfully germinated various varieties of veg in my beds take a look at pic
        If u notice my brussel sprouts leaves they are in good condition even though cabbage whites have been using it as an egg laying station. The catterpillars have trouble eating the leaves as there is so much water in them from heavy mulching and keeping soil nice and moist.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app
        Attached Files

Comment

This looks very interesting. Definitely going to look into this more to see if it will work for me.

Never noticed anyone using this method when I was down the allotment earlier I don't think.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

I have had this method, or at least something similar, recommended to me by a colleague and have split my small garden plot in 2 to do a trial over this winter. I put a layer of kitchen waste-peelings, tea bags etc. followed by a layer of cardboard with more kitchen waste on top, covered it with black plastic and held it down with bricks around the edge. I'm told the worms will do the rest.......

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

I wouldn't use the black plastic, tbh. It doesn't allow the soil to "breathe", and it will shelter slugs
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm interested in doing something like this in my new plot. Can anyone tell me, does the mulch not blow around? I have two immaculatly kept, old school plots slightly downhill from me and I don't want to be responsible for things blowing into them (when using what will be likely regarded as weird technique).

Comment

I garden in a similar way to Supersprout and the straw stay put. Never had a problem with it blowing around. Put a good thick layer on and press down lightly and away you go.
                  Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

would it not be best to mix the leaves and grass clippings together, rather than having layers of green then brown and does it need watering before the plastic/weed membrain covers.
                    82.6% of people believe any statstic!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X