A site is born - almost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A site is born - almost

Many of you know I’m moving, many of you know I managed to secure a lottie before securing a quarter – now I (almost) have two lotties

There is one amongst us (here) who spotted me through my Henlow-bound thread, he is a RAF Officer, based at Henlow, who has a dream to get allotments set up on RAF Henlow turf – almost unheard of, brave chap!

Said RAF Officer contacted me through here and asked if I would be interested in helping him. Would I!! Hold me back

So, TheBeeKeeper has been working tirelessly behind the scenes to secure permission from the ‘one that matters’ and today we hear he has done so. Well done TBK

So dearest Grapeeees, what do we (me ‘n he) need to consider when approaching a grassed area, approx 1˝ rugby (I can’t measure in footie) pitches in size – should we want to turn them into goodly growing areas?

We have things like consideration of neighbours, provision of water, possible fencing etc on the list – what have we missed?

I am on to NSALG to gleen advice, but we all know you lot at the bestestest ever in giving advice, ideas, thoughts, encouragement, support
    Last edited by piskieinboots; 30-04-2010, 03:21 PM.
    aka
    Suzie

Isn't the GW garden an ex rugby pitch?

Give 'em a shout.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Wouldn't that mean cameras and Toby and Alys and so forth
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

Tool storage? Will there be individual sheds, or a big communal one? Are you going to get the turf stripped off, or just measure out plots and let each plot-holder deal with their own?
        How about saving a plot for a communal orchard, and that way no problems with huge trees on plots?

Ummm... I'll think some more.
        Last edited by SarzWix; 30-04-2010, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Aye, you'll have to buy some lippy............
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
            Ummm... I'll think some more.
            Thanks Sarz, much appreciated
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              Aye, you'll have to buy some lippy............
              It really wouldn't suit TBK
              aka
              Suzie

Comment

What about things like manure delivery, wood deliveries for raised beds - topsoil - need to sort out access and security on the gates.
                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

BBQ/communal area for after a hard days graft, water butts or rainwater collection system, communal bays for manure/chipings storage if you can get them delivered in bulk.
                  Equipment if your plots are divided like ours by grass paths you'll need a mower to keep them in check.
                  Beehives - we have an area at the top of the site that the local beekeeper keeps several hives on
                  The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Excellent stuff, thanks so much - it's very exciting
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

An onsite shop? (once plots are sorted and funds are available)the one on the lottie near me (I'm now only 49th on the list ) opens 2 half days a week and is an old railway carriage, you could start looking at suppliers for deals on seeds/canes /trays etc.
                      Any mushroom farms near that may want to get rid of their compost in large,regular quantities.
                      Whatever you do though good luck as I'm sure it'll be very rewarding but very hard work.
                      "We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."-- Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Thank you T8Ter and I really hope you get to No: 1 soonest
                        aka
                        Suzie

Comment

Hi All,

Excellent tips so far, had considered the idea of BBQ and benches area, but absolutely LOVE the idea of a fruit orchard. Will probably need to restrict the root stock types though.

Will also be approaching the nursery next door (on camp) to see if they would like a small area for the kids to grow some veg! That may also smooth the way with stealing their water supply!

TBK

Comment

Originally posted by TheBeeKeeper View Post
                            Will also be approaching the nursery next door (on camp) to see if they would like a small area for the kids to grow some veg! That may also smooth the way with stealing their water supply!TBK
                            That's a good idea and you can start them off with any spare seeds or plants you have.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                              That's a good idea and you can start them off with any spare seeds or plants you have.
                              I can't claim the idea as my own.... t'was Suzie!

TBK

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X