Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large plastic coldframe/greenhouse things

Does anyone have one of these?

Are they any good? Do you think they'd be ok on the allotment for growing chillies in? Or do you think it'd get blown away/apart? It's not particularly windy on our site, we're fairly sheltered. They've got £10 off in Argos at the moment and I'm umming and ahhing over whether I should buy one. We've got about 30 chilli plants that need to go out on the plot and I just thought it might help give some of them a bit of extra protection should we have another rainy summer. Mr J keeps saying he'll build something, but that might not happen for a couple of years knowing him!

Mrs J

I have a couple of very similar ones. At the moment they are covering my potatoes. I can't comment on chillis as I don't grow them but for my spuds they have worked a treat.
    The only adverse comments I would make are that (assuming yours is the same as mine)the connectors are plastic and brittle. I have a spare one in my bag and next time I am near a camping shop I am going to try and get metal ones.
    Also, is it the one with the mesh through the plastic? Mine is. I take the cover off in the winter and store it in the shed as they do perish after a time.
    Having said that, may daughter left hers out all winter and it is still usable.
    Last edited by Sanjo; 24-04-2010, 05:25 PM. Reason: spelling!

Comment

If you do decide to buy one i've seen them in B&M for £7.99.

Comment

I have had one of these on the lottie for a couple of years now - and like all of the greenhouses and cloches made from the green woven plastic with clear squares, the clear squares drop out after a while. Having said that, mine worked really well with chillis last summer and that's what I'm using it for this year as well, even though it is a bit holey it still provides some protection.
        It helps to tension the frame a bit by adding extra string struts as well as the metal ones.
        Some have blown away on our site (or it may have been two legged visitors being - er - playful) but mine was fine - I used the pegs and added a few bricks round the skirt.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Thanks everyone. Don't think we have a B&M near here, not heard of it anyway. I'll bear in mind about adding bricks round the skirt at the bottom, sounds like a good plan! I might see if I can get hold of some fresh manure to pile on top of the bricks to deter any 2-legged pests! I wasn't aware of the plastic deteriorating so quickly. I've got a mini 2-tier plastic greenhouse and I left it out all winter, I'll make sure it goes in the shed this winter!

Mrs J

Comment

BM Stores: Stores

This will tell you if you have a store near you. The ones from B&M are all clear plastic, they also have a walk in type for about £20 if my memory is correct.

If you look it looks like it has holes in the flaps at the bottom so that they can be pegged into place. I can see what looks like two on both the front and side flaps.

Comment

They sound like the ones in Wilkos that they're selling for £10. I had a look at them the other day as it's only a 2 minute walk from me but they're much smaller and they don't have enough height for the varieties I want to grow unfortunately (or I'd have snapped them up!). My nearest B&M is 15 miles away apparently, might go and have a look in there next time I'm passing.

Thanks,

Mrs J

Comment

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...her_46817.html

The one at the start of this thread is similar to the walk in one sold at B&M.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X