Does anyone use debris netting?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Here's one chosen at random off the net. Yellow Debris Netting Scaffold Netting Allotment Netting 2M X 50

Other suppliers are available.
    Thanks veggie chicken That was a quick response! Do you think there is any difference in the one you found and I found?

Comment

I've only had a quick look but there appears to be a big difference in price

It may be cheaper still on ebay

Comment

Originally posted by Appsy View Post
        Take that back, just found it. Yellow net. Think I was searching for the wrong thing. Does anyone know if it is safe to put directly on my cabbage patch? Should i create a frame?
        Yes, you should try and keep the netting from resting on the cabbages. Otherwise those pesky butterflies can land on the netting and lay through it, I've heard.

Many of us use hoops of that blue (or yellow) water pipe. Or you can use canes joined together with spare bits of hosepipe, or with tennis balls, or with other devices of your own invention.

By the way, I think the 3 metre wide netting is much more versatile than the 2 metre stuff.
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by Appsy View Post
          Does anyone know if it is safe to put directly on my cabbage patch? Should i create a frame?
          If you rest it on the plants (assuming that was your question?) then cabbage white butterflies will lay their eggs THROUGH the netting. There is also an issue with reduced airflow near the leaves, which might lead to some increased disease / rot etc., and how snow weight will effect the crop.

I use water pipe hoops to hold the netting off the crop (well ... until the Brussels Sprouts grow tall enough to reach it - but you won't have that problem with Cabbages)

Beware of snow weight though - I replace my Debris Netting with wider mesh Bird Netting in winter, when the Cabbage White Butterflies are no longer a threat, as that lets the snow through whilst still keeping the Pigeons off the plants.

Some particular reason you need Yellow? I bought the "green" because I thought it would "blend in" but in fact its a Turquoise shade and sticks out like a sore thumb, so I have since replaced it all with Black - which is almost invisible from a distance.

Better still, ignore the colour and Blag some from a building site nearby - worth speaking to the site foreman as scaffolders often thrown away the netting after a job.

Dunno how the price compares but I got mine (years ago ...) from Tarapflex. Here's a link to their Yellow netting:

Debris Netting Yellow 2m x 50m | Plant & Allotment Netting | Scaffold Netting
          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X