No announcement yet.

Does anyone use debris netting?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used it for the first time this year on my winter brassica crops and not only does it keep off the birds, it also creates a bit o a warmer micro climate under the netting that speeds up the development of the young plants. It keeps those harsh winds off, and keeps things a wee bit warmer than outside the netting.

Wren

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
      it goes through a sewing machine ok on the largest stitch,but make sure you streatch it out as you go,otherwise the stitching will split and come undone,
      Use a sewing machine?

I'd probably end up sewing my fingers to it!

Comment

Hi curly kale,
        I'm just about to buy some debris netting for my allotment and as a result Ive been doing a bit of research. you asked if the colour of the mesh makes any difference. well that was one of the questions I asked myself. I know that plants use all the visible spectrum of light (well electromagnetic radiation) for photosynthesis, except green. if plants used all the visible spectrum they would appear black! it occurred to me that if I were to use green netting then the netting would also absorb all the light (except green) that did not pass through the netting. I looked for evidence of my theory and found a thread on a forum (I'm not a member but i think it is a good case study) in short it was agreed that white nets let more light through than darker shades but no solid conclusion was drawn on photosynthesis. there are also some good discussions on our own great forum but no hard opinions. as I'm going to go for the "white stuff" and i already have a bit of the green i may do a comparison test. one thing is for sure though, everyone agrees that 3mtr width is better than 2mtr.
        I have also put a link below, for reference, of the forum i visited.
        cheers harry,
        (Black or green shade net - Mombu the Orchids Forum)
        Last edited by harrybrew69; 13-04-2010, 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling
        The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
        VISIT MY WEBSITE TO HELP KEEP YOUR HANDS CLEAN AFTER A DAY ON THE PLOT
        http://www.thesoappatisserie.co.uk

Comment

I have built a 2 foot high wooden frame around my carrot bed and wrapped it in green debris netting. Over the top I have enviromesh.

Seems to work fine so I ain't changing it!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by harrybrew69 View Post
            in short it was agreed that white nets let more light through than darker shades ... also some good discussions on our own great forum but no hard opinions.
            I use white voile nets, and green debris netting. Neither one stops the light, and neither one is better than the other. I've just taken the green nets off my brassicas, which have been under it for about 10 months now: growth has been unaffected, indeed the speedwell was bigger than the 'outside' weeds
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Well I have just invested in a 3m*50m roll and am impressed just need to start making the beds and wind breaks with it now, as for covering the beds with it is it best to use the blue mdpe pipe in hoops? If so which diamater is suggested?

Cheers

Comment

Remember jono, if you use hoops, tall brassicas like sprouts need to be in the middle as the sides will not be as high. I personally made rectangular cages with 20mm plastic tube & tennis balls as corner joints. Just a thought whilst your in the planning stages.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  Remember jono, if you use hoops, tall brassicas like sprouts need to be in the middle as the sides will not be as high. I personally made rectangular cages with 20mm plastic tube & tennis balls as corner joints. Just a thought whilst your in the planning stages.
                  Hmm that might work, did you have to join it in the middle or was 3m sufficient to cover an average sized bed for brasica sized veg? (if you know what I mean?)

Cheers

Comment

The tubes I used came in 3 metre lengths which was plenty for me. I don't have a lottie so only grow small amounts anyway.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

My mate lives in some sheltered housing in the village and they have just been painted and they used debris netting all over the place and when they finished it all got chucked in a skip because they were not allowed to use it twice .
                      So keep an eye on the skips i have the posh stuff blue and green..jacob
                      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Thanks for all your replies - a local scaffolding company has given me some old planks in the past for raised beds and phoned yesterday to say they have a few more for me - I asked if I could scrounge some debris netting too and they said they will dig some out for me. Well, if you don't ask you don't get!

Comment

My netting goes over frames made of canes held together with old tennis balls at the corners.

Seems to work well.

Comment

Anyone know where I can get the netting in yellow? Does it even come in that colour?

Comment

Here's one chosen at random off the net. Yellow Debris Netting Scaffold Netting Allotment Netting 2M X 50

Other suppliers are available.

Comment

Originally posted by Appsy View Post
                                Anyone know where I can get the netting in yellow? Does it even come in that colour?
                                Take that back, just found it. Yellow net. Think I was searching for the wrong thing. Does anyone know if it is safe to put directly on my cabbage patch? Should i create a frame?
                                Last edited by Appsy; 10-10-2014, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X