new allotment totally overgrown

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    once you've built your run, dig a shallow trench around it and fill it with broken glass
    Oh no-o-o!
    Good lateral thinking if it's your own land, but at some point another tenant is going to have to dig that all out again (says the girl who has made her border edging from upturned wine bottles)
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 27-03-2010, 10:04 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Went for another look this morning (I may be becoming addicted to going to see it!!) there are as i said lots of small panes of glass, but also realised now, that there are 3 panes the size of a side of a greeenhouse!! I'll never manage to move them. there are also a few glass shower doors??
      Also the shed has gone! I knew he'd take the really good on that was inthea corner, so that leaves me a corner to fill next to the shed i've been left with! Also whoever took it, has dragged out all the straw and dumped it on my plot! it just gets worse!!

Comment

Well the good news is:
        1. you already have good habits (but we knew that from the speed you got your tatties in with ! )
        2. the person who took the shed did not make off with the straw
        3. you have the perfect safety glass to make some coldframes with - shower doors - so kiddie friendly.
        4. - and you have 3 large panes of glass that other allotmenteers may give you their eye teeth for.

If I was you I'd be thinking seriously of keeping hold of that glass because who knows, the time may come when you have a wee wooden lean-to next to your shed and in it you will then be able to grow summer squash, pumpkins, sweet potatoes or tomatoes - because you have all that lovely useful, light transmitting, heat-retaining glass, that is such a good gardeners friend. Maybe advertise on a site noticeboard or by word of mouth, that if someone helps with a bit of joinery work they can have some glass...you could have skilled, knowledgeable males falling over themselves to come lend you a hand.
        If I had the length of growing season here that you have, I'd be all over those panes like a rash !
        There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Sharing a plot lol. I have written out reasons to think long and hard time and time again then deleted them as it turns into a rant about my friend. We share a plot half and half. I tend my and lovingly dig and plant and try to grow veg. She as yet doesn't and its been a year.

Its my plot on the agreement and if i get one complaint about the state of her side she will be asked to leave but as yet this hasn't happen so it bite my tongue and hope she going to start doing something soon.

On the plus side i don't think i could handle a full plot. I am about to have a baby and was working all hours as well. So in that respect it could be a blessing. I do have a helper (my brother) who comes and digs, weeds and will water all he gets for his help is the odd coffee various cakes and of course some veg when it grows.

good luck with your plot. i'd just see how you get on before giving some away its much easy to hand it over than to take it back.
          Growing vegetables and flowers to share.
          www.takeoneseed.wordpress.com

Comment

well i can't believe how long it's been since i got my allotment, and came on here for advice! So much has happened!!
            It took me weeks to clear the rubbish and broken glass, and i still keep finding more. i'm ready for a couple more trips to the tip already!

i have 9 beds all with veg in, and so far have harvested new potatoes, sugar snap peas, broad beans, lettuce, beetroot, and runner beans!!

It is such hard work, trying to keep on top of it, but everyone is so friendly, i've been given lots of plants people have spare, anh my allotment neighbour gave me some of her garlic that was ready yesterday!

Yet again, i have questions!! I need you advice on potatoes if that's ok?!

1. the first to potato plants i dug up, the spuds were great!! On the 3rd, a couple of the potatoes were wither eaten or rotten from the inside out? i can;t seem to figure out what this is???

2. i have just got some of the potatoes that you plant in august so they're ready for xmas. I realise that i can't plant potatoes in the same be 2 years in a row, but where i'm digging up my first earlies, can i plant these xmas ones? as it's all in the same year??

Thank you for your advice when i first started, i'll be back regularly with questions now i'm up and running!
            Becky

Comment

Originally posted by becky2812 View Post
              a couple of the potatoes were wither eaten or rotten from the inside out?
              It happens. Slugs or something. Of course, the original seed potato will rot too

Originally posted by becky2812 View Post
              i have just got some of the potatoes that you plant in august so they're ready for xmas.
              I've never had any joy from "Xmas" spuds. Good luck
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the British Potato Council have a website that tells you - and shows - the different types of diseases potatoes get. I used it to diagnose a bacterial rot disease some of my Santes had got from being in light sandy soil through a cold wet spring.
                I wouldn't put a second crop of tatties into a bed just used for the same crop. Quite apart from any pests or diseases that might be lurking, the soil will be depleted of the nutrients that crop needs. That is why we practice crop rotation - it gets round both problems, to some extent at least.
                Perhaps if you grow them in bags, or tubs...? I think a lot of folk do. That way you can take them inside a greenhouse etc when the frosts begin. Frost is a tattie's mortal enemy....
                Congratulations on all your crops. You are way outperforming me, my gardening has been dismal this year !
                There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X