Requesting Council Provide Plots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting Council Provide Plots?

I've heard before that councils must try to provide plots if enough people request it, and land is available. Does anybody have a link to government info on this? There's actually an old allotment site near me (according to council maps) which is now just unused scrub wasteland, while there's a waiting list for plots.
    Last edited by sez; 22-03-2010, 08:14 AM.

hi, not really sure but i thought that the law was that if a group of 5 or more households wanted to start a smallholding then the council had to provide land.

http://www.nsalg.org.uk/
    Last edited by gazh; 21-03-2010, 10:07 PM.

Comment

We went through this the other day. If six (actually) request they provide land they have an obligation (1922 act I believe) but as PW put it 'no-one said when'

Anyway here's a link to the thread which in turn will link to nalsag and then to the gov't freedom of info site and all the dull reading you can stomach.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...eds_44949.html
      Last edited by Paulottie; 21-03-2010, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Sez..
        Like you,I am looking for an allotment in sunny Scunny

I asked about that site on Riddings you are talking about.

The council have applied for it to be used for housing and have no plans to turn it back into allotments.

Apparently, if 6 or more people apply in writing, then the council have to 'actively' make provisions.

If we could find (at least) another 4 people, we could get together and ask.

Im sure someone on here would know how we would have to word the letter correctly.

Comment

dont hold your breath even if you find old lotties there's no money to bring them back into service, our site (statutory allotment land) has one half (30+ plots) which needs new fencing and clearing but the council are not doing anything despite Leeds having 3000+ people on their waiting lists. We go to all the allotment redevelopment meetings and flag it every time but the council are not doing anything
          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Scunny Zeb View Post
            Sez..

The council have applied for it to be used for housing and have no plans to turn it back into allotments.

Apparently, if 6 or more people apply in writing, then the council have to 'actively' make provisions.

Im sure someone on here would know how we would have to word the letter correctly.

Well hello! Nice to meet another local person on here.

Actually, i got chatting about this with a lady who works in Riddings library, maybe we should ask there if they know anyone. There is a waiting list so there must be people around who'd like one in this area.

That said I've had experience with the allotments manager before so not all that optimistic... i know of not one but THREE people including myself who have been given plots already in use (sorry to the chap at Westcliffe whose bed edgings i ripped up and rearranged before being told it was his plot!). And apparently one chap at Westcliffe had around 12 plots to himself up until very recently when he was made to give *some* of them up. I don't have a lot of confidence in the guy who runs all this!

Anyway, gotta run to work but keep in touch Maybe we can start something!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
              dont hold your breath even if you find old lotties there's no money to bring them back into service, our site (statutory allotment land) has one half (30+ plots) which needs new fencing and clearing but the council are not doing anything despite Leeds having 3000+ people on their waiting lists. We go to all the allotment redevelopment meetings and flag it every time but the council are not doing anything
              True enough Our council would rather spend its money on ridiculously overblown projects nobody will use ...

Comment

I was talking to the lady in the library too. (I borrow the gardening/allotment books)

She told me about the guy with all the plots. My thoughts at the time were 'he must be doing it for commercial reasons becuse I cant see anyone needing that much veg for their own use'

Comment

Originally posted by Scunny Zeb View Post
                  Sez..

Did you contact the press back in September after a fellow grape had done some leg work for you with regards to that empty plot?

If so what kind of publicity did you get and what was the reaction from the council?

I really hope you did if not it would be pointless coming on here saying how hard it is to get a plot and the like. I believe you really have to put yourself out there badger and annoy people to get things moving. Why don't you put an advert in local rag asking anyone who is on waiting list to contact you to get things moving.
                  http://greengas-ourallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi
                    I know i am not from round your parts but has anyone thought of contacting Hugh Fernley Whittingstall at River Cottage about your plight he might be able to get a bit of publicity going as it was him that started all the Small holding stuff with his TV show

It may be worth a long shot
                    Last edited by johninblackpool; 23-03-2010, 01:54 PM.
                    Cheers .... John

Web link to our Allotment website http://lawsonsallotment.btck.co.uk/

PS my plot is 9 shown on the Plot Holders Pictures

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X