Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicos
    replied
    Burn it - or stick it in your bin at home!

Why tempt fate????

Leave a comment:

• smallfrog
    replied
    thats what i thought i knew i'd have to let it get growing so to speak before i could do anything.

I do the just keep at it method here at home and mostly its under control.

if you drown the weed afterwards can it be added to your compost or is that just looking for trouble???

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    You need to apply roundup to growing plants - so it's too early I'm afraid. Think it takes about 4 weeks to die back. Garden centre roundup isn't very strong- esp for something like bindweed- nip to your local farm supplies shop and ask for some glyphosate- it's the same as roundup but much stronger.

Would I spray? hmm...nope- I'd dig it over again.

We had it on our previous plot and managed to keep it in check by gently removing it whenever we came accross it.
    Flipping spaghetti!!

Leave a comment:

• Jeanied
    replied
    Spraying only works on actively growing weeds, smallfrog, and it is taken up by the leaves. So now is the wrong time to spray anyway. I have never found a spray that will do the job on bindweed. Its roots go down too far for that. The only solution I have found is to pull it out as soon as it shows its nose above ground, and keep at it. At least then it is under control. Any any that escapes my regime I use to tie up the runner beans and sweet peas with! I much prefer the organic solution in this case - cheaper and just as effective!

Leave a comment:

• smallfrog
    started a topic BINDWEED and dads

BINDWEED and dads

Hiya all,

I am sharing an allotment with a friend and am trying to grow as organically as possiable. So far i have strimmed the 1st two foot of grass, nettles ect off. Did this in high summer when we 1st got the plot.

Dug up and removed dock and masses of bindweed was careful to get as near as dam all the roots off and out from the site.

Told my dad who said spray it all and start afresh have got through the autumn/ winter with weeding ect not much bindweed. But i know it going to start coming soon... should i bite the bullet and spray or is there another way.
    My dad will spray anything and everything and i'm sure he thinks organic is a swear word.

If i do go down the spray route is Roundup best for the job and how far into growth do i let it get before i spray. Will this also mean i can't plant onto the sprayed area for a set amount of time and how long will this be (ish) and also will it effect the veg i want to grow.

thanks all

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X