Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

black plastic / weed suppressing membrane?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never cover once you have got rid of the weeds it isn't too much trouble keeping them down.
    I have 300+ square yards.
    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
    Brian Clough

Comment

I had a read on this last week on another site and they suggested Silage Sheets. Had a look around and you can get one at 8mx11m for £34 which did not seem to bad.

Comment

I use black membrane, but mainly to stop the cats defecating all over the patch.
        Last year I only did the brassica bed, but to good effect. I cut crosses in the membrane and planted the seedlings through it.
        This year I've put some on all 4 of my beds. I've used strips of it in between the root veg rows this year as any patch of exposed earth is basically a soon-to-be feline toilet.

It's only the potato bed that I haven't covered because the manure seems to keep them off it to some extent.
        Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
        Snadger - Director of Poetry
        RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
        Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
        Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
        piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

We've used thick black plastic used for roofing to cover our beds....

We've got a serious creeping buttercup problem - serious enough that it has grown through a 3 inch thick mulch of straw, 2 layers of newspaper and 2 layers of corrugated cardboard

This time we've put a 4 inch mulch of straw and horse manure down, plus the black plastic. I also suspect we're going to have to glyphosphate the b*ggers...

The lack of light caused by the plastic seems to weaken the buttercup and make it easier to dig out, which is what we were aiming for!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X