Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compost bin help please

Hi guys

When i can get back on the plot i am going to level some ground and build my compost bin,could i put cardborad on the ground in the compost bin area.

Would it still work or do i need the stuff that i want to rot down to be on the ground

Thanks for any help.

All the best,Ian

Either way is okay Ian.
    The big bonus of standing your bin direct on the ground, is that all the 'good stuff' will leach from your composting matter into the soil below. You can then either dig this up when you turn out your bin, and use it elsewhere on the plot, or you could move your bin altogether and plant into the soil left behind.

Comment

I think the cardboard will rot down quite quickly underneath the compost anyway, but it's usually recommended to start your compost on the bare earth, the worms and mini beasties can get up through and do their bit with the compost too!
      Life is too short for drama & petty things!
      So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by Comfreyfan View Post
        I think the cardboard will rot down quite quickly underneath the compost anyway, but it's usually recommended to start your compost on the bare earth, the worms and mini beasties can get up through and do their bit with the compost too!
        I understand the theory but as my Darleks have plastic bases stood on concrete & it rots down pretty well...........Mind you the worms in Leeds are dead hard........
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Why do you want to put cardboard down first?

If it's a mulch to stop weeds, then the compost bin itself will act as a light-blocker.

If you're trying to mulch couch grass or bindweed, it won't work. You need to dig them out before you site your bin. Bindweed especially will grow up and through your compost heap
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Why do you want to put cardboard down first?

If it's a mulch to stop weeds, then the compost bin itself will act as a light-blocker.

If you're trying to mulch couch grass or bindweed, it won't work. You need to dig them out before you site your bin. Bindweed especially will grow up and through your compost heap
            Thanks for the replys so far,the reason for the cardboard is there were Brambles in the area,i have dug up the roots but i am sure i must have missed a bit some where ,so it was to stop them growing

The area is also next to the shed so i wanted to keep that area as a work area.

All the best,Ian
            Last edited by Ian White; 13-01-2010, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian White View Post
              the reason for the cardboard is there were Brambles in the area,i have dug up the roots but i am sure i must have missed a bit some where
              It will take a lot more than cardboard to stop brambles growing Ian. However, the good news is that the new shoots are fairly easy to pull up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X