Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Ash

Happy Christmas everyone!

Have just had a wood burning stove installed and its producing lots & lots of wood ash.

Our garden is heavy clay & although I haven't done a PH test yet - assume it will be acidic - so that wood ash will do some good there but how else can it be used around the garden?

If this cold weather continues the stove's going to be in constant use - thought about buying a metal dustbin (or two or three) to store wood ash in!

I have a woodburner at the allotment. I mainly use the ash around my numerouse hard and soft fruit bushes/trees.

If I had enough I would also use it in the brassica bed!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ash on brassicas?... it's normally acidic isn't it, I'd have thoguht it was the last thing for brassicas.... spuds perhaps....

I've used BBQ ash on tomatoes and they seem to like it...

chrisc

Comment

We have a wood burner and use the ash on just about anything in the garden It is a source of potassium and so is particularly good for root development. Just don't spread it thickly.

Comment

Originally posted by chriscross1966 View Post
          Ash on brassicas?... it's normally acidic isn't it, I'd have thoguht it was the last thing for brassicas.... spuds perhaps....

I've used BBQ ash on tomatoes and they seem to like it...

chrisc
          Erm............methinks wood ash is alkaline and can be used instead of garden lime! Chicken poo is alkaline also...apparently!
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Taken from link below!

"Applying wood ashes also will raise soil pH. Wood ashes contain up to 70 percent calcium carbonate, as well as potassium, phosphorus, and many trace elements. Because it is powdery, wood ash is a fast-acting liming material. Be careful, a little goes a long way. Limit your application to 2 pounds per 100 square feet and only apply it every other year in a particular area."

Acid or Alkaline? What pH Means in Gardenspeak

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for the above link Snadger, very useful.........Wonder if you could clarify one point. Rhubarb is in 2 lists. Which one is correct?.......Thanks
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

we also have woodburning stove/cooker and wood ash is a valuable comodity. it will break up clay beautifully but can lock up magnesium in the soil so take care how much you use. i once put it round a wisteria and it took two years for the plant to recover and only then with a great deal of careful feeding. use it round your fruit bushes/trees in the spring and anywhere that potash is required

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  Thanks for the above link Snadger, very useful.........Wonder if you could clarify one point. Rhubarb is in 2 lists. Which one is correct?.......Thanks
                  Rhubarb will grow anywhere!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Cheers mate.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X