No announcement yet.

Bonfire Rules.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we're not allowed our own individual bonfires, but there is an area where all burnable (not compastable) stuff can be stacked and then two or three times a year inc 5th Nov we have a bonfire and social eve with everyone taking something along to eat/drink etc., very good for getting to know the other lottie holders
    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

What a lovely idea Hans mum-
      There is usually an area on most sites which could be put to this use.
      I like the idea of the social gatherings too!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        We are not supposed to "cause nuiscance" to other plotholders or neighbours of the site.
        The same applies to us but we ahve a restirction in as much as we can only have them after October 1st & before April 1st I think it is. (I'd need to look it up)
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

I am the plotholder in question (Benacre came to visit yesterday and collected an old bike which had been holding up the shed). I've checked our rules and there is no stipulation on times, only that bonfires must be of reasonable size, you must not burn noxious substances (plastic or oil, I presume) and you should show consideration. Yesterday was clear, the wind was blowing away from the houses and we lit a small bonfire. What smoke there was headed straight for us!!!! The householders concerned who took their washing in (half past three when it was getting too late to dry anyway) didn't say a word to us although their garden is only across the lane. I don't know if they actually complained to the "moaner" or whether he was having a go himself. I am always considerate and careful when I have a fire, and only burn what I can't compost (such as huge bramble and other perennial roots, and rotten bits of wood which I am still finding on my plot). Sorry about the rant, but some people seem to have nothing better to do than moan.

Comment

We had some idiot burn old carpets one day and no-one could see the way up the lane. All the back gardens in Worthing Road were covered in black noxious smoke and it was not a pretty sight.
            I think that the rules about Bonfires should be nationalised
            http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

My site is not council owned and I'm not really sure of all the rules but so far I've had 2 fires to try to get rid of the brambles I have cut down. The first was very small, inside an oil drum and created some smoke, but no complaints as it was a weekday morning and most of the householders must have been at work.
              The second one we had was on a Saturday and the drum wasn't used, as a result it was smokier. Presumably did'nt get as hot as in the drum or waste not quite dry enough. We had just decided to put it out when someone came round and asked us if we could stop. It was very amicable but in future I am only going to do it during the week and keep it small and hot in an effort to keep smoke down.

Kirsty
              Kirsty b xx

Comment

Never put wet grass or wood or anything on Bonfires as this is what causes the smoke. leave all material to dry and it will burn faster and quicker making no smoke. Yes oils drums are better for small stuff and again the dryer the better. The only trouble with Fires in the dark at night is

1. They attract Children.

2. Usually some (unhelpful person) calls the Fire Brigade.

3. You could fall over something in the dark and fall on the Fire.

Benacre
                Last edited by Jaxom; 15-01-2007, 10:00 PM.
                http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

We aint alowed bonfires during the Summer months! Think it's from May until October!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well ive checked my tenancy and it says, we are allowwed to light fires, but are not to light smokey fires!!
                    I got loads of brambles to burn, after finally clearing our plot. They are rammed in two large compost bins awaiting their fate at the moment. My brother is very kindly donating a huge oil drum (he is drilling large air holes in it first). As soon as that arrives ill be burning brambles. I reckon ill have to make a real hot fire before I start loading on the brambles as they are really wet, and I dont want go having a smokey fire!!
                    Im glad my tenancy doesnt have a no fire rule...I look forward to sitting round the fire, relaxing whilst burning those brambles, from which im still taking out the thorn splinters I received whilst cutting down a forest full of them!
                    http://www.allotmentjunkies.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Benacre View Post
                      Never put wet grass or wood or anything on Bonfires as this is what causes the smoke. leave all material to dry and it will burn faster and quicker making no smoke. Yes oils drums are better for small stuff and again the dryer the better. The only trouble with Fires in the dark at night is

1. They attract Children.

2. Usually some (unhelpful person) calls the Fire Brigade.

3. You could fall over something in the dark and fall on the Fire.

Benacre

Can I also add to the above that if you light a fire after darkthe moister air will hold the smoke down so if your near houses and its blowing away from them the moist air will hold down the smoke so it will fill the area and go to surroundind houses We have this problem alot because were surrounded by a river
                      Last edited by ugly gourd; 16-01-2007, 01:00 PM.

Comment

As far as I am aware we also have no rules re bonfires---just assume common courtesy. In fact once one person lights a fire many seem to follow.
                        It is a problem allowing enough time to check the fire is safe before leaving the plot. Luckily we have no residents nearby to complain---just passing trains every 3 minutes.

Comment

Just had official confirmation that we don't have any definite rules on bonfires, just show consideration for other people and don't burn plastics or oil. Also, noone put in a complaint about my fire the other week, it was just the old moaner making a lot of noise (presumably he likes the sound of his own voice)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X