Raised Beds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
    I'm also the only one on our sites with beds. I'm also the only one that can turn up in sneakers and go home clean.
    Not having a plot on a lottie, I'm really surprised at how uncommon raised beds are.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      Not having a plot on a lottie, I'm really surprised at how uncommon raised beds are.
      None of the other plot holders have them. I have beds as mentioned - surrounded by decking boards/other second hand boards.

The others whinge that the paths waste space. But I can fit so much more in each bed...if you add up the space between each of their rows it more than makes up for the paths I have.

It's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. People should just do it the way they want to.

Comment

I have used edging boards on the bits of mine that have been dug and planted up so far.
        It helps to stop the encroachment of those parts that have not yet been deforested.
        Also helps me to see how much I have so far achieved and shows me how much I have left to do....
        When it comes to rotating crops I have a clear idea of what was in a particular patch last season which would be more difficult with long unmarked beds, at least for me it would be as I am not very good at labelling things.
        I do intend though, to get rid of the edging boards and have the long beds, once I get my act together. Will probably mark things out with string and sticks in the future.
        Raised beds are good if you are prone to minor flooding with heavy rainfall, as the sides stop the soil from washing away.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

It's interesting to hear different preferences & like Zazen said, folk will do what they find best anyway. No right or wrong.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

There is no right or wrong about the way you grow, its to your own. The two main reasons for me growing on raised beds are easy to maintain and it looks neat. And while we are on the subject of raised beds, check out my new blog and the raised bed group.

Raised beds. Chuffa's Allotment
            good Diggin, Chuffa.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://chuffa.wordpress.com/

Comment

Great job Chuffa, a lot of work but in my opinion, well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuffa View Post
                There is no right or wrong about the way you grow, its to your own. The two main reasons for me growing on raised beds are easy to maintain and it looks neat. And while we are on the subject of raised beds, check out my new blog and the raised bed group.

Raised beds. Chuffa's Allotment
                Nice one chuffa!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I took on my new plot this year and put in raised beds and cultivated the grass as it grew between into paths.
                  The advantages i found were that:
                  The soil didn't blow away when it was dry, it held the heat more as the sides of the bed warmed up and kept the heat at night so crops came on quicker.
                  Easier to tend and weed and also to spot any problems.
                  Gentler on my back as could sit on the floor and weed from this position rather than bend.
                  Really easier to note what i put where and plan this years crop rotation as i gave each bed a number.
                  Haven for beneficial insects, the ladybirds layed their eggs on the bed sides and the larvae all hatched out on them, magic to see thousands of beneficial insects being born on the beds sides, no greenfly for me!!
                  My strawberries had a really long season as they were protected by the bed sides.
                  Very little/no damage from slugs and snails.
                  And they look fab too.
                  Have just taken on a new half plot and will be doing the same on there too. Lots of interest on my lottie site re the beds as was the first to do this and people are now experimenting with beds after seeing my successes this year.
                  What i say is put in a couple of beds and give it ago.
                  When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

We have built boarded beds on our plot and there were a couple existing of plot holders who have boarded beds.

All the new people seem to be going for boarded beds too, seems to be the way forward in our neck of the woods
                    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
                    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

Plus you don't manure or fertilise soil that you are only walking on!

Comment

Having just been given a plot that has been uncultivated for 3 years, our plan is to put edged beds in. I am not doing this because it has been pushed on me or for any other reason other than it will be easier for my baby to walk around on a path and if the beds are edged, it should in theory, stop him from thinking he can walk on them. In a few years time, when the timber needs replacing and the baby is older, I may decide not to bother with edging or may even decide to ditch the beds, who knows? Part of the joy of growing your own is learning from your mistakes.
                        http://want2livethegoodlife.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by pipkins View Post

All the new people seem to be going for boarded beds too, seems to be the way forward in our neck of the woods
                          These new people are probably copying what they see others on the site doing as they think that is what is necessary on that particular site. Not necessarily because they know why they are doing it, if you see what I mean.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

I have raised beds where the soil is hardcore/rubble a little way down, and traditional planting on the rest. The raised beds are great for all the reasons mentioned. I love the fact that I can squeeze lots more in because I don't have to leave as much space between rows for weeding etc. I do wish I had made fewer, wider beds though, but you live and learn. The traditional beds I find better for large crops like beans and corn.

I have to say I personally find the raised beds aesthetically pleasing. OK OK I am shallow and they look pretty Its my garden after all and I can do what the chuff I like
                            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                              Its my garden after all and I can do what the chuff I like
                              I think that is exactly the point. Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                                I have four foot wide DELINEATED beds!

I like 2 foot wide permanent paths and try not to walk on the beds. The beds were dug once.............ner to be dug again!

'Up north' new fangled ways (even though the Victorians had them) take a long time to catch on, so on my site, I am the only oddball with beds!
                                Definitely don't agree about us 'up north' you traitor! On my site there's a mix of ideas and we even have one person who has solar panels attached to his/her greenhouse - how up to date is that!
                                It's like others have said, go with what suits you. As I've only had my allotment for a year, it's a mix of beds and no beds and it has suited so far. I do find paths beneficial for wheelbarrowing manure/compost though.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X