Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grow Your Own needs your advice for new allotment holders!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had my allotment since April this year and had some wonderful produce this year. (Should have remembered to blanch the sprouts before freezing them though!!)
    My plot wasn't perfect but it didn't matter.
    I work full time and loved the hours I spent down there after work when the sun was still out and miss it now that it is too dark to do after work.
    The biggest tip I can give is to remember that you are always learning and if you make a mistake you'll know not to do that again next year. Try not to be impatient and do things as and when you can but enjoy every minute.
    I'm lucky enough to have 3 sheds and 2 greenhouses on my plot but this takes up a lot of growing room although that end is covered in marestail so very difficult to cultivate anyway.
    My sister came for a weekend later on in the year and we have made detailed plans of what is going where and I have put that on the computer while I can't get down there over winter ready for next year. I'm getting a journal too which I should have started from day one.
    Most of all enjoy it as others have said. We're doing our bit and the taste of that sweetcorn with butter is like nothing else you've ever had!!!
    Time flies especially when you are at the allotment!!

Comment

If you do have to buy tools - buy proper ones... I got so excited that I rushed into Wilkinsons and bought one of their cheap digging forks (£5 I think). That one cracked in no time - went back to buy another one and we bent that one too when doing some digging that was a bit heavier...so I now have to buy yet another one...I'll make sure I get a decent one this time....

Other than that - make sure you come back here for lots of advice and enjoy it all!
      Life's not always a party - but now that we're here, we might as well dance!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X