shed security

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shed security

Has anyone got any hints and tips about shed security? I'm just about to put up a shed on my plot and it would be a good opportunity to add fiendish security features, if they exist.

Hi Noshed welcome on board. All I can suggest is a paddlock. Not very fiendish I'm afraid!!
    [

Comment

Thanks. I'm wondering about some arrangement involving the adjacent concrete fence posts and a big chain...

Comment

Noshed,

You need to get hold of a 'shed bar' which is a long metal bar secured with a padlock. Our allotment society got hold of some (supplied free) by the local crime prevention officer.
        Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

On the subject of sheds.....you can now get a solar kit for around £70. It will supply all equipment needed to power a light and / or socket for your allotment shed. I cant remember name but can find it if anybody interested.
          Geordie

Comment

Any details of the shed bar? We're right into community policing round our way so this could be a winner.

Comment

This is a commercial link but gives you an idea...

http://www.dgsecurity.co.uk/Shed.htm
              Geordie

Comment

Thanks. I'll look into it. What do you think of the underfloor version - called shed secure or something?

Comment

i think the obvious thing to say is not to keep anyhting valuable in the shed.

Comment

Glass window

Many shed owners do a good job on the door but then forget about the windows (some sheds do have them). If your's has windows, a cheap security job is chicken wire on the inside and outside, and use galvanised garden staples to fix them (they come in bags and you nail them in). So if anyone tries to break in, it's going to be nasty for them.

Someone I knew also layed chicken wire on the shed floor, same effect if anyone tried to get in this way.

Andrewo
                    Best wishes
                    Andrewo
                    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

What you need is a shed like mine Noshed, It's so full if anyone did break in they'd have the contents fall on them!

Seriously, It is a problem on most sites at some time. All you can do is deter the opourtunists after all if you can nick a 3 ton bronze statue, the average shed is no probs!

Check with the site to see if they have any sort of insurance, failing that see how much it would cost you (National soc of allotments & Lesure gardeners may be able to help)

On the subject of windows, my shed at home has a window about 3 foot long but only 5" high, so it would have to be a ferret to get in there

ntg
                      Last edited by nick the grief; 10-02-2006, 07:33 PM.
                      ntg
                      Never be afraid to try something new.
                      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                      ==================================================

Comment

Hi,
                        re shed security. I have used the side panel from an old firegard which I've attached over the window on the inside. As it's stronger than chicken wire there is less chance of it being cut. Most big DIY shops also sell Shed security packs which contain extra brackets for the door, padlocks etc. I also make sure that I don't leave anything of great value in there and any tools etc are kept out of sight. Generally if your shed looks secure and you can't openly see whats inside most petty theives don't bother and just look for an easier target. So far mine has never been broken into (fingers crosseed). Good Luck

Comment

Hi

Sheds at my allotment were done over this week. Mine had a padlock lock and they just cut it. The guy behind my did not have a padlock lock but they ripped the door lock off.

Most people on our allotment do not lock their shed because they say if someone wants to get into they will and will probably cause more damage if you have a lock.

They did not take any gardening equipment apart from mowers and strimmers. They took my cooking stove.
                          Bye

PT

Carpe Diem

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow you have got to put up with the rain!

http://heifer73.blogspot.com/

Comment

Shed Secirity

One way of deterring theives is to fix a game keepers trip wire.

This is a simple and legal trip wire that sets off a twelve bore BLANK cartridge which is enough to frighten the bejeeebies out of anyone. Stunned by the noise and possible attention from people nearby, the scum usually run.

Any good gun shop or farm supply should keep them.

I ahve one on my shed in the knowledge that if it is broken into, at least they have a fright coming to them! You must however follow the fitting guide, as to mount the unit on the door constitutes a booby trap and is therefore illegal. Just mount inside the shed and have the wire running from the door.
                            Good luck and don't forget its there ( you won't twice )

Darren

Comment

Be more fun if you filled the cartridge with rock salt
                              Rat
                              Rat

British by birth
                              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...