Sorting a half plot - advice needed please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have a very good plot to start from IMHO

If you can work on the area where the strawberries are id move them and place the shed up there with bins,water butts etc

Soil looks very good, no signs of bindweed or couch grass

Christmas tree looks like it could be rosemary

The brussels could be purple sprouting and some cabbage and brussels

not sure on the rest

The corns finished

I wish my plot was as good as yours when I started

Comment

That's a cracking plot, well done. The shed would be more trouble than it's worth.
      The plot isn't too weedy.
      It's managed to grow PSB (hang onto that) and sweetcorn (leave them up as they are prolly sheltering ladybirds right now).

You also have parsnips in there, and strawberries which aren't dying they are simply resting. You do need to weed them, because there'll be slugs and snails hiding under the foliage.
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 03-11-2009, 07:56 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've took on a half plot (8 x 15 metres) recently it was probably a bit weedier than yours with some giant bamboo type things that we had to dig out (some photo's on profile page).

I agree with Pies and Two Sheds the plot looks great considering what I know other people have experienced on here.

My only advice would be to take it easy do a small area at a time and enjoy it there is all winter to get it ready for spring. Get some graph paper and make plans, no need to set anything in stone just yet.
        Bex

Comment

The yellow ferny looking thing in pic #7 looks like asparagus to me. You might have quite a few bits that are worth keeping if you can identify them.

Comment

looks like a brilliant starter plot, much better than ours, we had to dig ot waist height nettles as the plot had not been touched for years and we are still trying to remove the roots.

Yours looks like it is in good condition, whatch to see what you have on the plot before you start pulling things out. your soil looks good also.

Comment

Originally posted by oliveoyl View Post
              The yellow ferny looking thing in pic #7 looks like asparagus to me. You might have quite a few bits that are worth keeping if you can identify them.
              Looks like asparagus to me too.... mark where that is cos you don't want to accidentally dig it up, deliberately maybe but not accidentally....

chrisc

Comment

That looks fantastic. I have a half plot and it looks a lot bigger than mine. I have a shed but its not on my plot but at the back, the same as the rest of the plots that are on the end.
                Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                and ends with backache

Comment

Well I have given up this plot. It was too far away to get to regularly (makes a big difference being nearly 25 minutes drive away) so I decided someone else should benefit from it.

I then got offered another half plot in a site 10 minutes walk from my house so I have taken that one.

It's a nicer plot in a nicer site with running water etc and it's half the price. although there is a plum tree on the plot.

Comment

Do you like plums and do you like wasps thats the question

Comment

Much better when you don't have to make an expedition to get there. My first allotment was half an hour's walk away. I was ready for a rest by the time I got there!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X