I've got one...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got one...

Well almost and only half a one. Lady from local allotments has emailed to say half a plot will be coming available next month so I've arranged a viewing tomorrow. I've already been and had a look at the site and it is lovely, one of the better ones in the area.

Are there any questions I should be asking, not so much about the site but about the plot itself? I'm going to take my camera so I can take some pics, I am really excited.
    Becky

"We only have so many heart beats in this life, why waste them picking up a weight to put it back down again!" - Jerry Springer

Oh well done Becky! I started with half a plot 18 months ago and have just been offered a full plot. It's different - not the other half of my original one - but I'm really happy with it - and my lottie-mate will be offered my old half.
    I'd ask things like rules regarding bonfires, the location of water tanks, check where the sun is at any particular time of day (in other words do you have a shady bit). It's not a problem - greens and salads like shade - as long as there's some sun!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks Flummery! I was just reading your thread about you new lottie - congratulations! I've done quite well really, only 6 months on the waiting list. Thanks for the advice - it is all duly noted. I'm going to write a list.
      Becky

"We only have so many heart beats in this life, why waste them picking up a weight to put it back down again!" - Jerry Springer

Comment

If there is any equipement or shed on the plot, make sure you know if this is yours now or will the old owner be coming on your plot to retrieve.

We had a case on our site where a plot holder had been using the wrong plot for 4 years. The council let the plot on it's actual plot number to a new person. The council were not really to blame as the plot was overgrown. Still the the new owner gave away the greenhouse to neighbouring holder, then the original holder reappeared. Caused all sorts of problems.
        I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

Ask about what structures are allowed, what the fire restrictions are, what the watering restrictions are (is there water laid on, if so is it trough or tap and what are the rules re: hoses). IF you can have a shed and a poly-tunnel, are allowed to use incinerators occasionally and have a tap that you are allowed to hose in order to fill water butts then I reckon you've got it cushty We get that lot except for the water on our site which is trough.... but I'm planning on getting a rotovator soon (an oldish one) and near the top of the list of things to get for it is a waterpump so that I can fill the tank I want to put on my plot without having to bucket 200 gallosn of water to it each time it needs filling.....

chrisc

Comment

Originally posted by chriscross1966 View Post
            IF you can have a shed and a poly-tunnel, are allowed to use incinerators occasionally and have a tap that you are allowed to hose in order to fill water butts then I reckon you've got it cushty We get that lot except for the water on our site which is trough.... but I'm planning on getting a rotovator soon (an oldish one) and near the top of the list of things to get for it is a waterpump so that I can fill the tank I want to put on my plot without having to bucket 200 gallosn of water to it each time it needs filling.....

chrisc
            I have an IBC and a couple of water butts off the top of my shed and the rain keeps them all full. Will be putting more butts off my polytunnel when I get that installed. No need to use tap water at all!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I went to see lottie yesterday and it is fab, bigger than expected. There is a shed provided which we will have to share as its half a plot (no great hardship), I can have a greenhouse if I want up to 8' x 6'. There is a tap within hose pipe reach to fill water butts which I will have to buy, but they sell them for £5. The plot is available with the new rent year beginning of October and is being cultivated at the moment so although I will change things at least I won't be neck high in weeds. As its one of the first plots you see when you enter the site they will want me to grow flowers on that edge so it looks nice - no problems there as I would have done that anyway. It's perfect! Thanks guys for all the advice.
              Becky

Comment

Congratulations, Becky. I hope you have many happy hours there.
                Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Ooooo...congratulations. I rang up the local council yesterday to see how I was getting on with the waiting lists. Number 10 on one but number TWO on the other Can't wait...
                  RtB x

Comment

Originally posted by RobintheBobin View Post
                    Ooooo...congratulations. I rang up the local council yesterday to see how I was getting on with the waiting lists. Number 10 on one but number TWO on the other Can't wait...
                    Thanks RtB, I do hope you wait isn't too long...
                    Becky

Comment

Allotment advice

Hi there does any one know of any vacant plots in North Leeds or surrounding areas? Or have I just made you all laugh and yes I have spoken to the council How many years????

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X