Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weeds growing through compost

HI,

I have one of those dustbin/dalek like compost bins and have weeds (I assume) growing up inside it because I cannot take compost from the hatch at the bottom without breaking whatever is growing in there. I am going to make proper wooden compost bins and was wondering if it would be worth putting that weed fabric in the bottom or do I need worms to be able to get in.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Brendan

You occasionally get stuff growing in the bins. It is normaly potates.

I just pull them out.
    My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
      You occasionally get stuff growing in the bins. It is normaly potates.

I just pull them out.
      Or bindweed!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
        HI,

I have one of those dustbin/dalek like compost bins and have weeds (I assume) growing up inside it because I cannot take compost from the hatch at the bottom without breaking whatever is growing in there.
        Why are you worried about breaking whatever it is?

Comment

Thank you for your replies.

Whenever I try to take compost out I have to dig through a solid mass of roots or stems to get to the compost. The entire base of the bin is full of them. Whenever I see videos or pictures of people taking compost from their piles they are always taking black, fluffy gold out and not having to use a spade horizontally to dig their way in to break the growth in their compost.

I checked to see if the offending vegetation was roots from potatoes but it wasn't. I think it might be Couch grass on a mission to get to the sun.

Brendan

Comment

I would suggest lifting the Dalek off the pile and moving it to a new site, preferably free of existing couch grass. The pile of compost can then be attacked with a spade to break up the roots. If it's reasonably well rotted it can be used - if not, then mix it up, remove as many of the roots as you can and pile it back into the Dalek.

Comment

Thank you,

I am going to do that because I'm losing good compost that I've carefully tried to keep properly balanced and that is lovely above the root tangle.

Comment

Hmmm, you don't want to be putting fresh couch grass in the Dalek. Kill it first by drowning in a bucket, or crisping on the path
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X