Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Embarassing question(Embarassment smilie!)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you lost me at hello

but does this help? . http://www.wildchicken.com/grow/vege...show_bench.htm
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 01-08-2009, 12:44 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I grow all my leeks from seed each year. Sow the seeds in one big pot and let them get to grass stage, and just to the length of about 5 inches . Next i transplant them into bigger pots . I move each grass type seeding one at a time into the new pot. I take each seedling and trim the roots down to about half an inch long, then trim an inch off the top of the seedling and pop it into a shallow hole i dib with a pencil into the compost in the new pot. I leave about a two inch space between each seedling.
      I leave the seedlings to grow on for a couple o months, an when they are about pencil thickness i transplant them into the plot in 7 inch deep dibbed holes. Again i trim the roots down to an inch long an trim a couple of inches off the top growth too as i transplant them.
      This makes it a much neater and easy to deal with each seedling and i believe that it makes the roots grow stronger too by taking top growth down and forcing energy into the root area.
      I then water in in the usual way and my leek harvest is one of my best successes.

Wren

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
        Grass............on a leek?

Reach for the flymo pal.
        First piccie is what you get if you give the second piccie a shave! Leeks grown from grass should have all the parents attributes as they will be a vegetative reproduction!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Snadger; 02-08-2009, 05:51 PM.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

The second piccie I have at the moment; guess who is going to shave some leek heads tomorrow????

Comment

Shaving a leek? Every day's a school day
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
              The second piccie I have at the moment; guess who is going to shave some leek heads tomorrow????
              Don't blame me if you kill them zazen. This is all 'flying by the seat of the pants' stuff to me!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                Don't blame me if you kill them zazen. This is all 'flying by the seat of the pants' stuff to me!
                I've got enough to take a hit....I've got about 10 flowering at the moment......

Comment

I thought I knew little about leeks before I read this thread, now I know I know nothing.

Good luck with them, Snadger, and keep sending the pics please.
                  My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Very pretty, Snadge!

I don't know much (ie anything!) about leek-growing - but I know what I like!

Comment

Mustafah!
                      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

there was an article about this by anthony bennett in GYO,s 2009 november issue.

Comment

This any help ?

Blanched Leeks from Bulbils, Pips or Grass by Medwyn Williams MBE FNVS, Chairman of The National Vegetable Society

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X