Finally got mself a little patch :-)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got mself a little patch :-)

Had to post as I'm so excited. Been on an allotment waiting list for over a year and whilst things are moving on the campaign for more allotments in Dublin, I was still having to put up with my balcony garden as there was no allotment on the horizon for me

Anyhow I had noticed a narrow long strip of land at the back of my apartment complex. Decided to contact the apartment management company and ask them would they mind if I planted some veg there. They thought it was a good idea and they gave me the thumbs up today

It is on a slight incline and has some small trees/shrubs planted in it for the last 4 years. It is backed by a very high old stone wall . The advantage is that it has a ready supply of water and is only accessed by a locked gate from the apartment complex carpark. I have a feeling I will be joined by some others when the word gets out, but so far I am keeping quiet, as I want to choose my spot first

I was given my key this evening and will go down to have a look at the site in the morning. I have a feeling that the soil is poor so will be really looking for tips to how I should start to prepare a small plot for next Spring!

Will try and post a photo tomorrow.
    http://irishfuschiagirl.blogspot.com/

Oh well done! That's a brilliant idea. There is a lot of interest in growing in urban spaces now; I read an article about it in Sunday Times a couple of months ago. Manure! Can you get hold of some?

Comment

Don't forget to check that the manure hasn't been contaminated with the old aminopyralid though as it could have devastasting effects on your produce.
      There has been much on here and on the net about it so have a search and see if you think it's worth taking the risk if you cannot guarantee the provenance of it.
      A pain in the a**e all this, because manure is often offered for nothing and it's ideal for "heartening" your poor soil. It will also help retain moisture.
      Will you be able to site a compost bin or would that be asking for trouble with the management.
      Good luck with it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by susieq100 View Post
        Oh well done! That's a brilliant idea. There is a lot of interest in growing in urban spaces now; I read an article about it in Sunday Times a couple of months ago. Manure! Can you get hold of some?
        As it happens there is a man who keeps horses down the road so may be able to get some there and just leave to rot over the Winter. Not well up on using horse manure and have heard that it has to be well rotted!
        Should also be able to get hold of some seaweed too!

Sanjo yes there should be no problem siting a compost bin somewhere. I will only be using part of the strip of land and hopefully some other residents will join in when they see I've started. Here are a few shots of the strip of land and plot I plan to mark out!

Strip of land at back of apartment blocks.

The plot I have chosen. Havn't it marked out!

[/URL]
        Taken from the path!

By the way the strip of land (embankment) is on the Southerly side of the apartments and gets sun for most of the day!
        Any tips for preparing this plot would be welcome

Comment

You don't need manure IMHO. Despite what people think, It's actually pretty low in nutrients. Comfrey and pretty much any other organic stuff has more nutrients.

And it's pretty likely to contain all those horrible weeds that allotments are plagued with like couchgrass.

Comment

Wow, looks big!

What about a full blown communal garden? Get loads of dwarf fruit tress and bushes, herbs, flowers, maybe a little meadow and wildlife area and some seating.

Comment

BFG: I've been thinking along the same lines

I had asked around about 2 months ago was anybody in the complex interested in growing veg. Out of about 250 apartments I only got 4 replies.
              It's a very long strip and really is not being used for anything. Whilst the front of the complex is beautifully landscaped and maintained the back was just been left a s a wild area and I think the managment company are glad that somebody wants to do something with it!
              There already is alot of wildlife especially birds and I spotted a fox from my balcony. The real advantage is the site being so secure!

I would like my own patch though and may cultivate a small part of picture 3!
              I would like to make a start before putting out the word for people to join me if they are interested.

Comment

What an exciting project!!!

..and so near to your home too....you'll be able to go for a wander at bedtime and pull a few weeds/fruit/veg and enjoy your hard work.
                ( and nip back to the loo!)

If the 4 of you start growing , then you'll be able to have help over holidays too!

No point in wasting that bit of land!!!

Is it worth getting something in writing just to make sure it's 'yours'??(esp if you're putting money into it)

Are you thinking of terracing it????
                Last edited by Nicos; 29-07-2009, 09:37 AM.
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos:
                  Yes I have recieved written mail giving me the go ahead to do something with the piece of land from the manager of the block and so far am the only person who has been given a key to the site!

Anyhow I think it's up to somebody to make a start and thats me so hopefully it will spawn something bigger.

Going back to the plot. I'm wondering how to go about preparing it. Should I strim a section and then perhaps cover with plastic? I have worked on my Dad's veg plot before but that was flat and this is more sloped. I have been considering terracing . Would this be a good idea?

Comment

It's pretty steep- I'd be worried about the soil being washed down during heavy rain.
                    How organic do you want to be???
                    How soon do you want to see results???

I'd start hunting for planking etc for terracing- maybe ask some local builders if they have any old scaffolding boards.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                      It's pretty steep- I'd be worried about the soil being washed down during heavy rain.
                      How organic do you want to be???
                      How soon do you want to see results???

I'd start hunting for planking etc for terracing- maybe ask some local builders if they have any old scaffolding boards.
                      Hi Nicos thanks for your imput so far. I am happy enough to just get a growing area prepared for the Spring, though I probably would like to put in some onions if I manage to get a small area cleared.
                      On the subject of being "Organic" whilst I'm leaning toward as being as organic as possible I am prepared to use some artificial means to get the plot up and running. I would prefer to use natural methods though

I am wondering should I start preparing from the bottom of the hill up or work from the top of the hill downwards?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X