Contaminated Manure Petition - Aminopyralid

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contaminated Manure Petition - Aminopyralid

Latest information about ACP recommedation to reinstate licence and proposals for improved stewardship can be read here
    Last edited by zazen999; 24-07-2009, 07:41 PM.
    Try visiting my websites and blogs

You may want to visit the new epetition here Petition to: refuse to reinstate Aminopyralid as a weed killer in Britain. | Number10.gov.uk

Comment

glallotments - I hope you don't mind but I have taken your posts into a new thread of it's own.

The ACP - Advisory Committee on Pesticides, have advised that approvals could be reinstated subject to the rigorous conditions of the stewardship scheme which would stop the supply of manure containing residues and provide testing advice and equipment, as well as a removal service for any remaining manure containing residues on allotments or gardens.

Which means that Aminopyralid could soon be up and running again.

Aminopyralid, for those that don't know, caused widespread havoc amongst the GYO community last year as it has devastating effects on crops....it travels through the digestive system and is depositied in manure, which was then used by gardeners, allotmenters and thus we were keen to get it banned from use. This is now being overturned with more controls on its use.

Minutes of ACP 338 held on 30 June 2009 for the minutes of the meeting.

If you are concerned, please click on the petition and sign it.
      Last edited by zazen999; 24-07-2009, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. Petition signed.
        Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

I've signed it too, I lost a bed of new raspberry canes because of that stuff last year. Sooo glad it wasn't my whole allotment that was affected.

Comment

I have incurred aminopyralid damage from contaminated manure but the banning of such chemicals rather penalises farmers who use the products responsibly and adhere to the guidelines. If the burgeoning population wants to avoid famine I'm afraid the use of chemicals as part of farming practice has become an unfortunate fact of life.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
              glallotments - I hope you don't mind but I have taken your posts into a new thread of it's own.
              I don't mind at all.

Comment

petition signed. we have not suffered yet luckily but there is alwaqys the chance and if this weed killer is so resilient then why are using it. surely it is a risk to waterways and everything aswell as food. with 100%.

Comment

Signed up too. I signed the original one asking for withdrawal. Dreadful stuff to persist so long.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I've just signed up to it as well. Got to keep this out of the system!

Comment

Originally posted by rana View Post
                      I have incurred aminopyralid damage from contaminated manure but the banning of such chemicals rather penalises farmers who use the products responsibly and adhere to the guidelines. If the burgeoning population wants to avoid famine I'm afraid the use of chemicals as part of farming practice has become an unfortunate fact of life.
                      Its a newish herbicide though isn't it; we've done without it for several [i.e. hundreds/thousands] of years, so......do we really need it????

Comment

I've signed too. Haven't experienced the problems myself, but its put me off using manure at home and the lottie.

Comment

What are the cons? Is there a viable alternative?
                          http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                            Its a newish herbicide though isn't it; we've done without it for several [i.e. hundreds/thousands] of years, so......do we really need it????
                            Fair enough but the planet hasn't had to feed 6 billion people for hundreds/thousands of years. I would rather we used no chemicals in food production but I fear humankind have backed themselves into a corner.

Comment

It seems to be used to control weeds, esp on large fields - so perhaps this is as a result of offsetting fields rather than growing on them....Solution - grow on them???

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X