Parsnips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zazen.....you are just being flash now....lol
    My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Never managed to grow them in the garden....poor germination and twisted roots so this year I've grown some in Morrison's flower tubs. BINGO, the foliage is 2 feet high and they're an inch and a half across the top. I used a mixture of general purpose compost with some garden soil and sharp sand and they seem to like it. Trouble with parsnips is that they're in the soil for such a long time so I'm feeding them once a week now.

Comment

I am so jealous.....let me try loo rolls.......
        cheers Reks

Comment

I love parsnips but this year only one grew
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

i started mine in loo rolls and they have done great. i also just tried sowing them direct and all have come up. but i noticed the other day that one of the toilet roll ones had been earthed up by ants! and on closer inspection was coverd in like little brown aphid looking critters! can anyone help?

Comment

ive had the same problem with mine,,they where eaten by ants or bugs
              Sally

Comment

I grow my Parsnips as follows with great success every year: Place a stringline across the growing area, then using long bar approx 20mm in diameter drill holes at 230mm centres, drill the holes as deep as you can possibly get, rotate the bar to make the top of the hole about 75mm in diameter.

Fill the holes to within 10mm of ground level with compost (usually growbag) place in six seeds, and cover with 10mm of compost.

When the plants are approx 75mm tall thin down to three strongest leave for a week or so, and thin down to last but strongest plant. When the plants get to 200mm or thereabouts sprinkle lime round the base of each plant this will reduce the chance of Parsnip Canker. Hope this helps.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X