Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling produce?

Hi all,

Does anyone sell on their produce to supermarkets or anything? I have just taken on an allotment and I know their will be way too much veg for just me and my fiance.

Thanks
    I hate slugs!!

If its a council rented one then it should state that its not allowed to sell your produce. However, I know of a few who sell on a small amount which helps cover costs. Not to supermarkets though more like small grocers etc.
    http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Matt. View Post
      If its a council rented one then it should state that its not allowed to sell your produce. However, I know of a few who sell on a small amount which helps cover costs. Not to supermarkets though more like small grocers etc.
      we are on a private one, so hopefully it will be ok. I suppose at car boots and things would be a good idea.
      I hate slugs!!

Comment

"most" allotments say you cannot grow to sell, it must be for personal use.

You can sell your surplus though.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Supermarkets buy in massive amounts and simply wouldn't be interested. Your best bet is to probably let it be known to your work colleagues, friends and neighbours. If I have a glut I offer it to people I know, but I don't sell it, I enjoy giving it away and I try to preserve as much as possible before that. Though I have started asking for a contribution for eggs of 60p for half a dozen.
          Last edited by bluemoon; 06-07-2009, 01:31 PM.
          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
            Supermarkets buy in massive amounts and simply wouldn't be interested. Your best bet is to probably let it be known to your work colleagues, friends and neighbours. If I have a glut I offer it to people I know, but I don't sell it, I enjoy giving it away and I try to preserve as much as possible before that. Though I have started asking for a contribution for eggs of 60p for half a dozen.
            I have given away lots of moneymaker and garden pearl tomatoes this year as I had plenty of them. I was just asking for curiosity really. I cant wait to start growing on the allotment. I will be coming to you about preserving things then bluemoon!
            I hate slugs!!

Comment

I gave a selection of herbs to various people at work a couple of weeks ago...one of them says I should charge money, not alot clearly but something to cover costs....maybe next year I will ask for a contribution like bluemoon, but I also enjoy just growing stuff and happy to give on to people who are unable to grow stuff or use my stuff to help start their own `grow your own' project!
              Last edited by deezyb; 06-07-2009, 05:31 PM.
              "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

Originally posted by teamladd View Post
                we are on a private one, so hopefully it will be ok. I suppose at car boots and things would be a good idea.
                I would check you site rule book...I think you wil find that you are not allowed to sell your produce.

You then have the little thing of aying the tax on your new income if you do.
                My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Thinking about it logically,(my head hurts!) with such long waiting lists for allotment plots for people to grow there own veg to feed there family, it does seem to defeat the object if we become fruit and veg merchants! (I still sell my surplus eggs though!)
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    Thinking about it logically,(my head hurts!) with such long waiting lists for allotment plots for people to grow there own veg to feed there family, it does seem to defeat the object if we become fruit and veg merchants! (I still sell my surplus eggs though!)
                    totally agree, I was just being curious.
                    I hate slugs!!

Comment

I have started asking for a contribution for eggs of 60p for half a dozen.
                      Can I have some? That's really, really cheap.
                      You could get a quid, easy.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I was at a local country market last week and I noticed they'd introduced a 'community stand' - this is where growers can sell small amounts of surplus stuff.

I thought it was a good idea, I haven't noticed it at other markets I've been to.
                        My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

For allotment holders - please be careful if you sell your produce as you can get chucked off site for this - and if the lists are long they are looking for every reason to whittle that list down!!!

Comment

I wish I had enough surplus to sell....my mum and dad turn up with empty bags then leave with bulging bags....emm
                            My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                              For allotment holders - please be careful if you sell your produce as you can get chucked off site for this - and if the lists are long they are looking for every reason to whittle that list down!!!
                              I even ran 'specials' at one time...buy 1/2 a dozen eggs for 80p and get a free bunch of onions!
                              *Always hide my honesty box if I get a tip off the allotment officer is on the prowl*
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X